Average global Internet connection speed climbs to 3.1Mbps

Shawn Knight

Staff member

global 1mbps akamai internet connection speed

The Internet is growing by the day while at the same time, connection speeds are climbing. As of the first quarter, the total number of unique IPv4 addresses pinging the web hit 734 million, or about 34 million more than during the previous quarter according to the latest State of the Internet report from Akamai.

As outlined in the report, the average connection to the web increased in speed by four percent to reach a worldwide average of 3.1Mbps. That’s good for a 17 percent increase year-over-year and marks the first time the global average has surpassed the 3Mbps mark.

global 1mbps akamai internet connection speed

Akamai noted that 123 countries / regions experienced an increase in connection speed compared to the same time last year while 117 areas reported a connection speed boost during the previous quarter.

The global peak speed on average was 18.4Mbps, we’re told. When looking at individual nations, South Korea proved fastest with an average speed of 14.2Mbps which is to be expected as half of the country’s citizens subscribe to high-speed Internet. Hong Kong earned the highest peak average at 63.6Mbps, however.

David Belson of Akamai said in a statement that this quarter’s report shows continued positive growth in terms of Internet and broadband adoption worldwide. He said they have seen overall increases in average and peak connection speeds along with greater broadband penetration on both a quarterly and annual basis.

The US finished in ninth place with an average connection speed of 8.6Mbps, good for a 13 percent increase compared to last quarter and 17 percent from the year ago quarter.

Permalink to story.

Everyone's getting these fast FiOS connections...

And I'm just sitting here with 100kb/s internet :<

And I'm stuck on my unlimited 103Mbps, because the next upgrade, 150Mbps is about a whole $25 a month more. 6TB of HDD filled to the brim with obscene content in no time...

2857110876.png

Akamai put the UK at 7.9, with the average max speed in the country at 12 meg.

So getting faster, but I fear a broadband divide, I currently get 100 meg with Virgin which will soon increase to 120, but my parents in the country, can only get a max of 2, with no plans for BT to upgrade the local infrastructure in the next few years,

The divide will widen as BT start to offer there 300mb residential service.

Gentlemen the world is changing when it comes to internet speeds. Just have to wait for the rest to catch-up!

Right, I bet most people have multiple lines and tie the 56K dial-modems together to get these insane speeds.

Akamai put the UK at 7.9, with the average max speed in the country at 12 meg.

So getting faster, but I fear a broadband divide, I currently get 100 meg with Virgin which will soon increase to 120, but my parents in the country, can only get a max of 2, with no plans for BT to upgrade the local infrastructure in the next few years,

The divide will widen as BT start to offer there 300mb residential service.

Yeah I'm finding the same thing, I can get the standard BT Fiber:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2857662535
That speedtest was done at peak test and we had quite a few people on our team speak server but normally down is 72mbps and 18.5mbps up.

Yet literally just down the road (maybe 50 meters) ADSL at 8mbps is as fast as they can get, I don't understand why BT are only upgrading certain streets and forgetting about others?! We've also got a notice that we'll be upgraded free of charge to their Fiber to the Home in due course since we signed up early. I wonder what the legal implications are to running a CAT6 cable over to my friends house that is 50 meters away and charging them a bit for use of the internet xD

There are no connections under 50mpbs/100mbps in Romania with the exception of 3G, but too bad we're being pulled down by a lower percent of connected households in the country. I get around 30-40 mbps when testing from Bucharest to London. (while using a wireless N router)
As far as I know we were in top 5 around 3 years ago. Now we're down to the 12th spot. At least according to speedtest.net we still have the no.1 city in the world ^_^

BTW why is the USA so high up on this list? All other websites have the US way lower. Even speedtest.net has it at 29 with 17.96 Mbps. Are they measuring the mobile connections together with normal ones?

Yet literally just down the road (maybe 50 meters) ADSL at 8mbps is as fast as they can get, I don't understand why BT are only upgrading certain streets and forgetting about others?! We've also got a notice that we'll be upgraded free of charge to their Fiber to the Home in due course since we signed up early. I wonder what the legal implications are to running a CAT6 cable over to my friends house that is 50 meters away and charging them a bit for use of the internet xD

The whole area I live in (15 minutes from the city centre) got upgraded cabinets not long after the exchange was fiber enabled... bar about 2 cabinets including the one I'm connected to. Apparently it was because of profit calculations, like there weren't enough users who would subscribe to the service it to counter the cost of the upgrade. Thankfully someone in the area has been badgering BT/OpenReach and their local councillor about this and last week a new cabinet appeared at the end of our street. Just waiting for the orders to open on the BT site and I'll make the jump from 2.5mb to 50+. Moved from the city centre where we had a decent 12mb on ADSL, to 2.5mb. My mobile phone gets better speeds half the time.

The whole area I live in (15 minutes from the city centre) got upgraded cabinets not long after the exchange was fiber enabled... bar about 2 cabinets including the one I'm connected to. Apparently it was because of profit calculations, like there weren't enough users who would subscribe to the service it to counter the cost of the upgrade. Thankfully someone in the area has been badgering BT/OpenReach and their local councillor about this and last week a new cabinet appeared at the end of our street. Just waiting for the orders to open on the BT site and I'll make the jump from 2.5mb to 50+. Moved from the city centre where we had a decent 12mb on ADSL, to 2.5mb. My mobile phone gets better speeds half the time.

Nice one! Yeah we went from AOL 4mbps to BT 72mbps! it has been awesome! I don't think I could ever go back now, my friends with ADSL it just seems so slow!

Back