Averatec keyboard run amok

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjsteve

I have an Averatec 3150 laptop and the keyboard is going crazy. Page up and page down no longer work; sometimes several letters of the alphabet don't work; sometimes the delete key gets stuck and deletes everything it can. I tried uninstalling the driver and re-installing it. I tried attaching an external (USB) keyboard, which solves the problem somewhat. However, the original keyboard remains active also and so when the delete key decides to do its thing -- there's nothing I can do but reboot. Is there any way to completely disable the built-in keyboard? Any suggetions?

unless you feel like taking a blade to that keyboard, i suggest taking it in for service, so a tech can fix it or disable it.

Any Success ?

I am having major problem with my laptop's keyboard.
If I could disable it when XP is running, I would be ok.

Did you have any success ?

Rob

I still use an external keyboard, but after following the procedure below the keyboard stopped acting crazy.

"Right click on the My Computer desktop icon, then go to properties. Locate and click on the Hardware tab then click on Device Manager. In device manager you can disable the internal keyboard and have only your external keyboard enabled."

rjsteve said:
I still use an external keyboard, but after following the procedure below the keyboard stopped acting crazy.

"Right click on the My Computer desktop icon, then go to properties. Locate and click on the Hardware tab then click on Device Manager. In device manager you can disable the internal keyboard and have only your external keyboard enabled."

I appreciate the response.
I have just been trying to disable the internal keyboard with no success.
IT WON'T DISABLE.
In Device mgr, there is a right click disable option on some of the hardware, but not for the PS2 keyboard.
There is no separate entry for the Internal keyboard, and I have seen some suggestion on the web, that the Internal keyboard is connected to the PS2 plug(socket).
I have tried uninstalling the driver, and it just get's reconnected, when Windows boots. (Plug & Play).
I tried setting Plug & play to Manual, and it still 'finds the new hardware', and installs drivers.
If I try disabling Plug & play, it is not healthy. EG Device Mgr can't display anything.
I had a look in the BIOS, to see if it allowed disabling of the PS2 keyboard. It didn't.
I realize that that would have been quite dangerous, but I was getting desperate.

How did you disable it ?
Was it available as a Right Click option ?

Thanks Rob

How did you disable it ?
Was it available as a Right Click option ?

It seems like right clicking was an option. Actually, I'm on the road right now and traveling with a different computer, so I don't remember. What brand is your laptop?

rjsteve said:
It seems like right clicking was an option. Actually, I'm on the road right now and traveling with a different computer, so I don't remember. What brand is your laptop?

It's a HP Omnibook XE4100 F4649H 'KC' model

Thanks, Rob

zephead said:
perhaps the bios setup on the lappy has such an option

Thanks, I had already tried that.
There is only an option to change the PS2 Mouse between 'Both' or 'Auto'
One of those disables the laptop pointing device, if there is an external mouse connected to the PS2 socket.

Unfortunately there is no similar option for the keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back