AVG alert manager has encountered a problem and needs to close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirei Blossom

My AVG is giving me problems. I have the free 7.5 version downloaded in August.

I turned the computer on from hibernation, and AVG insantly gave this error: "AVG alert manager has encountered a problem and needs to close." After the same error message popped up a few times, AVG closed itself. I rebooted the computer, uninstalled and reinstalled AVG, did an update and scan, and nothing was detected.

Then some days later, again, when I turned the PC on from hibernation, the same error message came up again. This time however, the message went away, and AVG was still in the taskbar. I did an update, worked fine. Then I tried to do a scan, and it gave the same error message.

I've rebooted the PC a few times, and its working okay, no errors.. but I'm sure it'll pop up again soon.

Help?

Windows hibernation seems to create more problems than it solves. I personally don`t use it, I just use Log off/standby instead.

I suppose you could try using a different av programme and see if that helps.

Avast antivirus programme.

Regards Howard :)

Its AVG antivirus.

Is Avast okay? I tried using Norton once, and it caused a lot of computer problems, and would freeze when it detected something.

Yes, Avast is very very good. Some would say it`s even better than AVG, though I`ve not actually tried it myself. However, it does come highly recommended.

I`ve been using AVG free for years without problems. I think the problem is more likely with Windows Hibernation, rather than with AVG itself.

I would doubt that it's AVG itself that's 'broken'. Go to the Event viewer and look for Error occurring at same time you get AVG closing:

Follow this path:
Control Panel Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

Or you can use these sites:
http://www.eventid.net/search.asp
http://www.monitorware.com/en/events/

If you paste the copy here, you do not need to include all the lines of code that follow the description. But everything else is needed.

And I agree with problems in hibernate. I also prefer Standby.

Here's the copy from the event viewer>> application. There weren't any system errors related at the same time:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: (100)
Event ID: 1000
Date: 9/15/2007
Time: 1:42:29 PM
User: N/A
Description:
Faulting application avgamsvr.exe, version 7.5.0.453, faulting module avgamsvr.exe, version 7.5.0.453, fault address 0x0002a4ca.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
------------

Event Category: (100)
Time: 1:00:17 PM

Description:
Faulting application avgamsvr.exe, version 7.5.0.453, faulting module avgamsvr.exe, version 7.5.0.453, fault address 0x0002a4ca.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
------------

Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Time: 1:00:07 PM

Description:
Fault bucket 514375261.

---------

Event Category: None
Date: 9/14/2007
Time: 9:33:11 AM

Description:
Faulting application avgcc.exe, version 7.5.0.480, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000048.

-----------

Event Source: AVG7
Event Category: Fatal
Event ID: 100
Date: 9/14/2007
Time: 9:32:21 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Description:
2007-09-14 04:02:21,015 YOUR-KR5MCJRAA7 [001396:001448] FATAL 000 AVG7.SCHED.CAvgTimer unhandled exception caught (453, Mon Mar 19 12:59:58 2007)

----------

Thank you. Are you running Windows XP and do you have the SP2 update?

The last Error appears that you have AVG scheduled for an automatic scan. Please disable the 'automatic' scan for now. Are you running IObit Advance WindowsCare 2 Personal? If so, uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Then reinstall AVG.

If you still want to use IObit's Advanced Windows Care 2 (Free edition), make sure you get their latest Version 2.5.0.792.

Help from the AVG Forum in the Canal Zone. Let me know how this works for you.

Avast! is very good, I used it and it's live protection is really really helpful, this guy on my forum would post links to virus sites and right when you click them Avast! automatically disconnects from that website so no virus can get in ;)

Only thing I would say is wrong with it is that there is no "Status bar" to see how long left the scan would be :(

Bobbye said:
Thank you. Are you running Windows XP and do you have the SP2 update?

The last Error appears that you have AVG scheduled for an automatic scan. Please disable the 'automatic' scan for now. Are you running IObit Advance WindowsCare 2 Personal? If so, uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Then reinstall AVG.

If you still want to use IObit's Advanced Windows Care 2 (Free edition), make sure you get their latest Version 2.5.0.792.

Help from the AVG Forum in the Canal Zone. Let me know how this works for you.

I know I'm running Windows XP home edition. I don't think I have the SP2 update.
And I don't have IObit's Advanced Windows Care 2 either.. I have AVG set to not automatically scan, but just to automatically search for updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back