AVG Exclamation Mark/Re-start Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My AVG icon has an exclamation mark on it. I double-clicked it and it said the update needs a restart. So I restarted it. Then, when it came back on, the same thing was still happening. So I restarted it again. Still, the same thing.

Anyone know what I can do?

Try opening the control center and manually updating the program. This is one of AVG8's latest "quirks", as it seems it never manages to convince itself that all the latest patches have been applied. I think it has to do with the auto-update settings, it the update server isn't found at bootup, if gets pissed. That's the best I can explain it, as I stare at my own red "!". This is quite a stupid approach, since you need an internet connection open at startup, which is dangerous since any AV or firewall programs may or may not be fully operational when the system connects.

Bear in mind that I also have the "link scanner" disabled, which would cause the Red "!" as well. (even fully updated).

Have you ascertained that the program is functioning and that there is no infection causing the program to be disabled?

Thanks

Everyday, I check every single new post and new thread since the day before
And I just finished doing that right now :grinthumb

:) You guys are awesome. Thanks for the quick feedback. I can't see any evidence that there's an infection anywhere. A friend said they have the same thing going on with AVG, today. Maybe it's just AVG's problem?

Kimsland, you feel that the Avira is better, huh? Maybe I should just go with that.

Would I need to remove whatever's in the vault before I can remove the AVG program from my computer?

No

If you un-install any Antivirus using the normal un-install command (usually found in Add\Remove programs) it will either prompt you, or just automatically remove all infected files in the vault. ie No issue :)

Oh, Avira is better ;)

Thank you, kimsland! :)

One more question: You said that the program will either prompt me itself or just automatically remove all infected files in the vault. I had previously heard that removing them was risky and that leaving them in the vault indefinitely was safer.

Can you tell me more about this?

Whilst the Antivirus is still active, it is wisest not to do anything with previously secured (vaulted) malwares (Virus/Spyware etc)

But when uninstalling the Antivirus, it is highly recommended to also allow automatic clean out the Vault (if given the question to do) ie Being part of the uninstall process. This process is generally automatically done when uninstalling

Normally do not manually change anything in the active Antivirus Vault

By the way, this is why it is always best to use the uninstaller, and not just deleting the Antivirus folder in your Programs folder

Ah, ok, that makes sense. Once again, thank you, kimsland! :) You've been so helpful. I will go ahead and uninstall AVG and install the Avira program you recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back