AVG flags Ad-aware 2007 as a Trojan horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moriarty

I downloaded the new version of Ad-aware (aaw2007.exe) a couple of weeks ago (why has it got so BIG?!). I have not installed it yet. This morning I find that when I simply select the folder containing the file, AVG flags "Trojan horse downloader. Generic 5. P10". What is really scary is that I only discovered this when I attempted to copy this and other files to another machine via network as a back-up, and the aaw2007.exe transfer aborted because the file was "in use".

There are a few reports of this online but surprisingly little information. What is going on?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

This is undoubtedly a false positive by AVG and should be fixed shortly.

I agree that Ad-Aware se has become a little bloated. I particularly don`t like the service that runs in the background with the new Ad-Aware.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for the reassurance, Howard!

AVG did not object to the file when I downloaded it (24th July) or when I moved it, copied it, and backed-up to CD-R, so I guess it must be something in the AVG updates of the last couple of weeks that is the problem.

I'm still puzzled, though, as to why the copy via network failed. I was working from the destination machine, where AVG was only updated to 24th July. Could it be that the copy failed because the source machine (AVG updated to 9th Aug) detected it as a trojan when the copy started (hence the "in use"), even though it did not flag it until I accessed it locally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back