AVG Free antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

SultanGris

am i correct in assuming that with avg it will find virus's but not remove them? it said it found two, which i know what they are, not really a virus, but it gave no option anywhere to remove them.

guess you get what you pay for, NOTHING, hahaha.

NOT TRUE, my brother had a few trojin's avg removed them
i guss you may need to remove them manually

If the viruses AVG found were in the system restore folder. It wouldn`t be able to remove them. For that matter neither would any other antivirus programme, that I`m aware of.

Try turning off system restore, and rescanning your system.

Also, details of the files specified by AVG would help.

Regards Howard :)

it was a webpage recorder stealth program, that logs all websites viewed with the computer, it runs stealth in the background, and its not in the system restore folder, my system restore is off.

correction, 3 files, two .exe, .dll

trojan horse 2 .exe are psw.generic.adn 1 .dll is psw.generic.adm,

1 .exe and 1 .dll is infected, embedded object,
1 .exe is infected archive

files are in a folder on my desktop, i have not yet installed the program.

i dont wanna remove it, i know what it is, i was just concerned as to why avg wouldnt give me option to remove it, after all, what good is antivirus if it wont get rid of the virus. but someone said avg wont remove virus if its in an archive, so i think that may be my problem.

SultanGris said:
files are in a folder on my desktop, i have not yet installed the program.
Does this mean that the virus is contained in an archive or .exe file? If it is then I don't think you can remove just the virus. You'd have you delete the entire .exe file to get rid of the virus.

I forgot to add, that I don`t think any antivirus can heal an embedded object in an archive. That`s why it`s usually safe to download an archive file rather than an exe.

You can then scan the archive, and decide whether you want to open it or not.

Regards Howard :)

iNoob said:
Does this mean that the virus is contained in an archive or .exe file? If it is then I don't think you can remove just the virus. You'd have you delete the entire .exe file to get rid of the virus.

that is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back