TechSpot

avg free or not?

By Row1
Jul 27, 2007
  1. hello-
    i have had avg antivirus on my computer for 3 yrs.
    it was free. i never pay anything. but i get updates all the time, and it works well.

i am helping my dad get away from norton antivirus, and i am helpign him get avg.

the avg webstite says that we can get a 30-day trial.

is avg no longer free?

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,385   +105

3. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,090

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,673   +1,871

5. Row1

Row1 TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 327   +13

thx!!

yes i had the wrong link.

6. xanimefanx

xanimefanx TS Rookie Posts: 82

which one uses less ram Avg Free? or Avast Anti-virus?

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,673   +1,871

6 of 1, half a dozen of the other......

Neither one of these apps is processor or memory intensive. It's almost a moot point. Both use well less than half of Norton or Macafee. Make your decision on which interface you prefer and/or gut feeling on which one is doing a better job. You can't go wrong with either one. Measured system slowdown with Norton is generally placed at about 15%,with either of the 2 freebies somewhere around 6%

8. Row1

Row1 TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 327   +13

yay norton gone!

yes, i switched my father's computer from norton to avg because norton was causing his computer to run very slowly. i convinced him to just cut his losses despite the $60 or so he paid for the most recent year of 'norton 360'.

in task manager, i assessed the internet browsing slow-down caused by norton: whenever going from one web page to another, ccsvchost.exe claimed a huge part of processor capacity, varying from 44% to 98%, for a period of time ranging from 5 to 10 seconds.

Frankly, if you have to wait 8 seconds for every webpage you want to look at, that is about as bad as a virus.

i set him up with avg and zonealarm. things are running great. thanks to the people who gave me info!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.