AVG obsession

Status
Not open for further replies.

mewi

I do not understand it... Am I missing something here? I find AVG an awful anti-anything, it tends to get in the way of everything >.> Yet I am constantly giving support on how to disable it so people can play some of the most basic games... So what is all the hype that AVG is a good anti virus?

Of the free Antivirus softwares
Presently Avira is the best

AVG is not just an Antivirus though. It has Antivirus + Spyware Protection + Webpage Filtering (and a lot more)
I feel AVG may be a little over the top, but I have recommended it to users, I feel require all this protection.

AVG Free Antivirus (Recommended for Antivirus and Spyware Protection)
Avast Free antivirus (Recommended by myself, as user friendly, and ease of use)
Avira Free Antivirus (Recommended by the boards Security helpers here)

Of the free Antivirus softwares
Presently Avira is the best

AVG is not just an Antivirus though. It has Antivirus + Spyware Protection + Webpage Filtering (and a lot more)
I feel AVG may be a little over the top, but I have recommended it to users, I feel require all this protection.

AVG Free Antivirus (Recommended for Antivirus and Spyware Protection)
Avast Free antivirus (Recommended by myself, as user friendly, and ease of use)
Avira Free Antivirus (Recommended by the boards Security helpers here)

I think over the top AV's are bad for not only the computer... but also the user experience... I've had experience with Avast, it felt cleaner and more smooth than other free anti viruses... but then again long term use is what counts. Haven't had the opportunity to touch Avira. Last anti virus I have touched was Norton 2003, every since then I have been anti virus free. My own two fingers are probably more effective against viruses lol.

Seems reasonable !
But you must have a good technical knowledge, ie what to do when a Virus is in your system. (which you probably know)

I've run with no Antivirus too, just for the fun of it (obviously not recommended, if you have user data not backed up)
Anyway, it was definately faster, (Both Windows and online)

I suspect with Flash HardDrives, that Antivirus softwares, will be nearly non-existant one day.
ie. Each time you start Windows, it runs a fresh OS (Kinda like the Linux live CDs)

Seems reasonable !
But you must have a good technical knowledge, ie what to do when a Virus is in your system. (which you probably know)

I've run with no Antivirus too, just for the fun of it (obviously not recommended, if you have user data not backed up)
Anyway, it was definately faster, (Both Windows and online)

I suspect with Flash HardDrives, that Antivirus softwares, will be nearly non-existant one day.
ie. Each time you start Windows, it runs a fresh OS (Kinda like the Linux live CDs)

That would be awesome =3 I'd imagine there would be several layers of this type of OS though. Base OS refreshes, then there will be secondary security OS? Who knows, it sounds like a big idea, with to many variables for one person to consider.

But yeah, there was this program called "Deep Freeze" on the school computers at my old High School, it never saved anything to the hard drive... I think it prevented permanent hard drive writes? I am not sure how it worked exactly, but I know hard drive's became fragmented over time.

It could be turned off VIA password input. I have a copy of it somewhere, it's kinda cool. There is probably better programs around however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back