AVG query - Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZvista

I hope this is the right place,

Recently, my computer doctor removed norton from my computer and downloaded AVG free, which i upgraded to AVG anti-virus.

HOWEVER, this does not have a firewall, should i just trust the windows firewall to do its job, or get a stand alone free firewall.

Note: i tried comodo but deleted it soon after - it slowed my internet down soooo much.

Thanks

you may get alot of passionate responses to this NZ, I don't run a third party firewall, haven't for years. I run my Avira once a day and keep it updated and i just don't have any problems at all. if however you frequent ummm questionable sites, or torrents, that can be a different story entirely.

A firewall is always smart... a two-way firewall. You never know in advance whether you will need one. On top of that firewall, you need a very good antivirus such as Kaspersky, Nod32, Avira or Avast. (AVG is no longer on the leading edge), and at least two spyware programs such as Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor, ZoneAlarm spyware, SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, and suprisingly very few others. There must be 87 different spyware programs, but few work well enough to recommend.

So, that brings up two questions.

Could you please name a good stand alone firewall, COMODO may be good, but makes things far to slow.

And secondly, is AVG no longer that great/ Is the pay for one AVG Anti Virus, surpassed by Avira/Avast

Thanks

is AVG no longer that great/ Is the pay for one AVG Anti Virus, surpassed by Avira/Avast

Stay away from AVG, '.' I've been using Avast for a few years now and can say that it is far better than Symantec (surprisingly, since you need to pay for Symantec-no AVG isn't any better, even the version you pay for). I've been using Avira on a few systems I've been working on based on this sites reviews and found it to be pretty good also, but on a personal note, I can only say that Avast is 'proven'.

Update

So,

Following some advice in this thread, i downloaded Avira Antivir and installed that. I also got super anti spyware.

I actually downloaded avast first, but I hated the UI and couldn't get around that.

Then I decided to get another firewall, to replace the windows one. I downloaded zone alarm. HOWEVER, when i installed it, the restart after that messed up in a big way, it just got stuck on the "welcome" screen over and over.

Does anyone know why this may be? Have i managed to get another virus already, or should I just try re-install Zone Alarm (note, had to system restore).

Don't know of a reason. We loaded Zone Alarm free on three, with nary a problem, as you say out west.

Here is my recommendation for security: you need 'layered' protection. This consist of: one antivirus program, one firewall and two or more spyware/adware programs.Here are my recommendations- all free and good:

Use one known, good Antivirus Program and configure it to update regularly.
Avira Free
OR
Avast Home

Use one bi-directional firewall
Comodo
OR
Zone Alarm

Note: You should have only one software firewall. You may also use a router. Most routers have a hardware firewall in them. You can use both hardware and software firewalls together, but use only one software firewall.

Please use the site addresses I have given. They are for the free versions, firewall only. Some companies have bundled programs.

Use 2 or more reliable and trusted anti-spyware/malware programs
Spywareblaster- Download and Tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial49.html[b
Spybot Search & Destroy download and Tutorial
Spybot Search & Destroy has a Resident called TeaTimer that can be set to run as Real Time Protection
AdAware

Always update these programs right before scanning.

Special programs to help with security.
These are special programs you may add to further enhance the system security:
Host Files: these are databases for IPs or Domains that will automatically be blocked and prevented from accessing your system.You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers.

Recommended:MVPS Host Files
MVPS Host Tutorial

About AVG: This was as very good antivirus program up through v7.5. But v8 combined AV & anti-spyware programs and the AV part missed many infections. There was also intermittent problems with the updating.

About firewalls: The Windows firewall only 'listens' at incoming ports. So if malware does get into the system and wants to 'call home' from within the system out to the internet, this firewall won't stop it. Both Comodo and ZoneAlarm are bi-directional firewalls.

HI Bobbye,
have you found a way to make comando and or zone alarm less intrusive? i have tried both (albeit a while back) and they were insufferably intrusive. and didn't 'learn'

red, I used Zone Alarm Pro (the paid version) for years. Once I got it configured, I didn't think it was intrusive. Also, there was a setting where you could turn the Alert off.

I learned a lot about scans, IPs, ports and other firewall features by looking at the activity on the logs. There is also a great article: Firewall Forensics- What am I seeing?

Robert Graham wrote the original- he's to firewalls like Black Viper is to Services- IMO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back