AVI/MPEG playback crashes my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nipa

AVI/MPEG playback crashes my computer - minidumps attached!

My computer hangs and after a while reboots when attempting to play video files with any player.
I'm using the new nVidia 81.94 drivers. The same problem occurs with all drivers except
71.89. What can I do?

Disabling hardware acceleration from dxdiag helps, but then the videos get messed up.

System specs:
AMD Athlon 2600+ Barton (no oc)
1Gb DDR 333MHz Kingston Valueram (tested ok)
Club3D GeForce 6600GT (no oc)
Win XP SP2 (up to date)

All mobo drivers are also up to date.

EDIT: Computer also hangs if I just click on a AVI/MPEG file. WTF?
I found a couple of articles about clicking on AVI files causing 100% cpu usage
and applied the fixes presented at tweakxp.com but it doesnt help.
And because video playback works with 71.89 drivers I'm betting this is an nVidia issue.

I also disabled AGP FastWrite from bios and Write combing from nvidia settings.
These changes havent solved the problem either.

All your minidumps crash at nv4_mini.sys. This is indeed your video driver.

They also have the same bugcheck of EA.

0x000000EA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.

Since your system is stable when using the 71.89 drivers, just use those.

Regards Howard :) :)

Thanks howard. I think I'll just use the old ones until nVidia gets a grip at these things.

Somehow I managed to solve this one, so now movie playback works like a dream even with the newest nVidia Forceware drivers.

And here's what I did:
Uninstalled nVidia drivers
Uninstalled SiS AGP drivers (my mobo has SiS 748 chipset)
Rebooted
Installed a bit older AGP drivers from mobo manufacturers site
Re-installed the nVidia 81.94 drivers

And it works. No problems what so ever.
Just to let you know if someone is having similar problems.

Im having this problem too actually. Is there a fix for this. I tried reverting back to the old BIOS for the motherboard like u did but it does not make any differences.

Hmm I didnt revert back to older BIOS, but older AGP bus drivers from
mobo manufacturers (in my case Asrock's) site.

What chipset does your mobo have?

I can 100% confirm two solutions to this problem. This applies for certain to AMD 2800 and SIS chipset; GeForce 6600 256MB. Source CS works fine with 81.95.

1 Permanent solution
Upgrade your GEFORCE drivers to 81.95. That fixes the problem. No need to revert to old AGP drivers or anything like that. First deinstall the old GeForce driver from Control Panel and when you reboot as part of that process, you'll be in 800x600 mode. Windows might ask you to install a VGA driver; cancel out of that as youll be installing the 81.95 drivers. When you reboot after that, set your desktop video to 1600x100 or 1280x1024 or whatever you use and set the refresh rate to 75Hz or higher according to your monitor spec.

2 Temporary solution
Bring up the Display Properties screen and go to Troubleshoot. Set Hardware Acceleration to Zero whenever you want to play an AVI or MPEG etc. Set it back to MAX when you want to use the graphics. This isn't necessary with the permanent solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back