Avira won't ignore false positives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppa Bear

Frequently when my PC boots, or I open a program from the desktop shortcuts, Avira anti-virus comes up with a false positive detection notice of a virus.

When the option to ignore is dotted, and the remember option checked, and applied, it immediately comes up again with the same warning. After repeating the process, it then stops. For awhile.

Sooner or later, and soon at the latest, it brings it up again.... and again... and again... ad infinitum!

Unless this can be fixed I'll have to change AV protection.

Any suggestions?

To Tmagic650 re:
So lets find out if something else is affecting the AV flags. Go to the 8-Step Virus & Malware Removal Instuctions
I've done all the steps in the cleaning process including disabling real time in relevant applications. Attached are the Malwarebyte log, the SuperAntiSpy log and the HiJackThis log.

View attachment Malwarebytes log 2010-01-31 (20-29-02).txt

View attachment SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 01-31-2010 - 20-22-41.log

View attachment hijackthis.log

I've also run Avira but apart from the false positive, it showed no infections.

I have also removed the tracking cookies detected by SuperAntiSpy, but none of this has made any difference.

I'm fairly certain that this problem did not start until I loaded the latest updates for Avira.

Remove Avira completely, including any quarantines and reinstall it fresh
I uninstalled, did a registry clean, and manually cleaned up any original elements still left. Then downloaded and reinstalled the lastest version, got updates, but still got the same problem.

Have now uninstalled Avira, and replaced with Avast and no problems.

Thanks for your help in trying to solve this problem. I'll probably try Avira again in a month or so when a new version comes out.

Cheers PB

To Tmagic650 re:
You could try free Avast and see how it runs
Thanks Tmagic. As mentioned in my reply above your last post I have now got Avast installed and it's working fine.

Thanks again for help. Cheers PB

Hi Tmagic, re
Okay Poppa Bear,
I missed the Avast note in your reply. We were thinking the same thing :)
Just for the record, after I installed Avast, I scanned the file that Avira was reporting as a Trojan, and Avast reported it as having zero infections. Must say I like the ease of use of Avast and the multiple options offered. Also have had ongoing problems in getting updates for Avira in all 4 OS: WinXP Pro, Vista Ult, Win7 Ult & XP Home.

In your opinion is Avast as effective as Avira?

Cheers PB :)

I use Avast on this laptop and it seems fine, but I use free Comodo Internet Security on my desktop. I suppose its a matter of preference and hardware configurations that determine what we like to use. You had trouble with Avira, why? I don't know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back