avsmcpa.dll blocking Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I click on Control Panel I get:
The specific resource languageID cannot be found in the image file: C:\WINDOWS/System32\Res0901\Avsmcpa.dll: The specific module could not be found.
C:\WINDOWS/System32\Res0900\Avsmcpa.dll: The specific module could not be found.
C:\WINDOWS/System32\Res09\Avsmcpa.dll: The specific module could not be found.
C:\WINDOWS/System32\Res0000\Avsmcpa.dll: The specific module could not be found.
C:\WINDOWS/System32\Res0000\Avsmcpa.dll: The specific module could not be found.
What to do? korthbill

your registry is corrupt. Run norton systemworks 2003 registry repair (or earlier) to fix.

Many thanks for the replies.
To Tedster: in the Windows Register Checker Registry the Scan Results returned "no errors found". I would have to buy the Norton Systemworks 2003 to try it. Could I be sure that that would solve the problem?
To howard hopkinso: I tried that microsoft support link, but it didn't help. It seems to be mainly for Windows XP and I use Windows 98.
Another thing: apart from difficulty getting into Control Panel (I can, after fiddling around), the screen area is frozen. In Display Properties/Settings the Screen area is stuck at 640x480 pixels and slide adjuster will not move.
Best, korthbill.

I would suggest you dump McAfee and get the free AVG from http://free.grisoft.com
Loads of people on this forum (including me) are quite happy with it.

As another thought, maybe it's time to dump W98 as well. If you can afford it and your hardware is compliant, get XP Pro.

sorry. I didn't see that you're using W98 - no- I can't guarantee that it would solve the problem, but it does solve many. Earlier versions of windows corrupted easier than XP does (XP still does). Still it's worth using. Its a tool I use at least weekly.

avsmcpa.dill blocking Control Panel

Thank you RBS and Tedster. It might be a good to drop VirusScan (though I have used it for over four years without a problem) but would that fix the problems of normal Control Panel access and bad graphics. This also goes for buying norton systemworks. I have years of work on my hard disk; would that all be lost if I reinstalled Windows 98 (I don't think this computer will take XP) ?
Best, korthbill

You could start with UNinstalling McAfee and see if that brings your Control Panel back.
If so, get AVG anyway and safe yourself some bucks.

If CP does not come back, you must have other issues. Reinstall or update your graphics drivers.
See if that file is anywhere on the PC, or perhaps on the CD where you installed from.
Copy it from there into \windows\system32 then unregister/reregister that file.

UNregister= Click Start/Run (or go in a DOS-box) and type in:
REGSVR32 /U Drive:\Path\FILE.DLL
(for example: REGSVR32 /U C:\Windows\system32\pqymml.dll) and press Enter or click OK
register=
REGSVR32 Drive:\Path\FILE.DLL

In either case, start thinking about backups, burn a load of CDs/DVDs or get another internal harddisk to save your work. A PC with W98 is probably 6 years old or older, and hardware could start giving out any day now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back