AwardFlash in Win2k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddy05

I used to own Win98 and updating BIOS using the Award Flash Utility is a breeze - Just press F8, go DOS and open the program!

BUT, I became newbie when I upgraded to Win2k. I just don't know how to get to DOS or use the Award Flash Utility anymore. How do I use the Award Flash Utility in Win2k? It's not that VERY important but it's for me to integrate better in this "new" OS:dead:

P/S: I tried opening Backup and create an Emergency Boot Disk but when I try to boot, it gives me a message like:

NTLR is missing
Press Any Key to Restart.

Can't remember the exact filename, but it's something like that.

If you have an old win98 boot disk you can hit Shift+F5 when the selections appear on the screen(If you boot from the floppy) and it gives you a command prompt in dos..then just insert your floppy with the bios flash on it and flash....I'm sure there's another way...but I know this works:grinthumb

hheehoohoohahaa

I tried that before, but Command Prompt can't read NTFS Paritions.

Error Reading Drive C:
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Update: I just thought that I'm a stupid dumb. WHY MUST I STORE ON HDD?!!?! Just store the files in a diskette right? -___-. Dumb me.

I think you should only flash a bios from booting with a floppy, I've read several sources doing it from within Windows is a bad idea. And don't quote me on this but I don't think its even possible to do it from a "DOS" prompt in 2k/XP because its not a true DOS environment.

But as for one of your first questoins, to get a command prompt in 2k/XP go to start - all programs (if you use XP's default) or Program files or programs or whatever it is in classic - accessories - command prompt.

NTFS support for DOS is possible.

But I usually just copy the BIOS image and flasher utility on the A: along with the Windows 98 startup disk and install it from there - Completely bypassing local hard disk storage.

Why are you trying to access your hard drive from the command prompt???

1. Shut down you pc
2. insert boot disk
3. At options for boot disk hit Shift+F5
4. When the A:/ shows up, remove the boot disk, and insert the floppy with your bios and flash utility on it
5. type the name or whatever your supposed to do for your specific bios utitlity..and then flash it.....that simple....do not try to access your C: drive...there's no point is there???? No....:grinthumb

And if its on the same disk as the boot disk thats fine too!!! just keep it in there and follow the steps above^^^^^^^^^^^^

I for one don't even trust floppies -- too many horror stories in the past. I use a bootable cd with a copy of the flash util and the bios, then copy them both to a RAMdisk, then flash.

Well, I actually trust CDs even less... ;)

Yes, using a floppy is a bad idea... But it is also the easiest.

If you simply don't trust a floppy disk, you can download a bootable floppy image online with NTFS support.

Originally posted by Rick
Well, I actually trust CDs even less... ;)

Yes, using a floppy is a bad idea... But it is also the easiest.

If you simply don't trust a floppy disk, you can download a bootable floppy image online with NTFS support.

I trust CD media more because it not only lasts longer without developing defects (the decay of the plastic/aluminum sheets on a CD are far less prevelant then the decay of the soft magnetic material in a floppy), but requires no physical contact to read the data - In the past I've only had hell with floppies, increasingly slow as my FDD become older. Of course I also haven't bought new disks in ages.

Oh, and I can WASH cds :p

Hehe, Soul...Anyway i could still recall it as my first experience in flashing BIOS. I tried to flash the BIOS right in Win98 coz i ddin't know i need to boot into DOS...I got lucky and nothing went wrong, later when i was told about the consequences of falshing in OS, i realised i was doing in a wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back