Ayla Networks wants to create the Internet of Things

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A new startup by the name of Ayla Networks aims to create the Internet of Things all around you by building their software into everyday products. They’re off to a solid start already with $5.4 million in financing led by Crosslink Capital and Voyafer Capitol – money that could go a long way towards making their vision of a fully connected world a reality.

Here’s how it’ll all go down. Ayla will work directly with OEMs to embed their software into select household products like thermostats and appliances. The Ayla platform consists of a cloud service for hosting and managing devices, application libraries and Wi-Fi enabled modules / IP gateways. The three components are designed to work together so OEMs as well as customers have to do as little as possible to get up and running.

ayla internet of things

Each manufacturer will be required to pay a one-time fee for services, unlike some competitors that use a costly subscription model. Ayla CEO and co-founder David Friedman said ongoing subscriptions make the cost of adding new connectivity complicated and unpredictable. He said they live and breathe in this world and understand how to get technology into mass production.

Ayla already has 21 employees working in Sunnyvale, California, but a lot of their business is expected to take place in China. That’s because the company has already signed their first major customer, Sina. This is one of China’s largest Internet portals with more than 500 million registered users.

Permalink to story.

Well this is all towards bad control. Think what would happen if your neighbor hacked your fridge just because your dog s h I t in his yard. Now all your food is spoiled. This is where networking all means if it talks to anything it can be screed up. Some things should be just left offline for security purposes. Like a boxers left hook. You don't want to make that hackable. If you are a hacker that is great news. You should also put my neighbors wife's braw online. So I can hack that and make it drop. Same for panties of models at a fashion show.

Next thing you will be talking to a toaster that tells you that the car you parked outside yesterday is now a toast. Feeling down you reach into the fridge for a beer, and the fridge tells you to chill...

...the kind of in-context internet of talking things, if you want them... ;)

P.S. I wouldn't want to explain the toilet whether I got something against it...

Back