Back-up a laptop to a desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone please tell me the simpliest way to backup my laptop computer to my desktop? I have been trying to days to figure this out and I know it can't be that hard.

I have the following:

1.) Acronis True Image 8.0 on laptop
2.) Shared folder with full read/write access on desktop
3.) While in Windows, Acronis True Image copies my laptop drive to an image file on my desktop
4.) Done

If I ever need to recover the data, I can pop in the True Image bootable CD which has network support and reload my stuff.

It depends what level of backup you want.

If you need to backup the files only, just use a router to create an "intranet network" and share your desktop folder. Then dump all your needed files from your laptop to your desktop.

If you want to backup your laptop as an image, then you need software to support. I have Symantec Ghost.

To me, one good way to back up the data is to:
1) create a default image for your laptop
2) use backup agent/software (I use Backup Pro 2005 synchronizer from www.backup2005.com) to synchronize your important folder files (such as My Documents) on a weekly basis.
3) recreate a default image for your laptop every 6 months, then dump all your backed up files back to your laptop.

In this case, if you lose some files between your last backup and next backup schedule, you can always retrieve it. If you are infected with virus, don't even bother using virus sweep (it never fixes the root of the problems)! Just back up all your necessary files, push back default image, then dump your backed-up files to your laptop.

I know there is a way to do incremental image backup, but to me, I would like to be able to access my backup files from time to time. Image files are rather compressed. In addition, if the image file is corrupted, that backup is gone. With synchronizing, you are still able to retrieve partil backed-up files even if the backup corrupts.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back