TechSpot

Backdoor trojan? (iexplore.exe in task manager)

By draickin
Nov 12, 2007
  1. Hi,
    I have encountered a similar problem to another member of this forum (actually I think it's exactly the same :/ )
    I tried to install adobe premiere cs3 and it prompted me to terminate all my browsers. I exited firefox but it continued to tell me that Internet Explorer was running. I ran the task manager to find that there were not one but 3 " iexplore.exe " applications running even though I wasn't using Internet Explorer at that time (or any time for that matter). I googled it and found this thread in your boards on how to get rid of it( the one with the 15 steps). I'm at step 11, and I think that it's were I'm supposed to paste the results of Panda Antirootkit, so here goes: "No rootkits have been found"
    A have a question, though. I have my hard drive partitioned, so does this mean that for example Panda Antirootkit scanned all my partitions? Or just the default "C:\"?

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I`m not sure whether Panda Antirootkit will have scanned all your partitions or not. maybe you could contact the makers of Panda Antirootkit for a definitive answer to that question.

Follow the rest of the instructions and post the requested log files.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of draickin only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

3. draickin

draickin TS Rookie Topic Starter

At step 12 it is mentioned that I should attach a log from combofix and hjt, although in a previous step I read that I should not run hjt until step 15 :/
    I'm sorry I got confused, so I'll just attach the combofix log for now until a confirmation about the other log, so there:

4. howard_hopkinso

It also says to post log files as attachments. ;) SEE HERE.

And that isn`t a full Combofix log.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of draickin only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

5. draickin

Oh, sorry, my mistake! I really misread :/
    (about the log, I know it wasn't full, but it didn't fit into one post because it was too many characters... anyway, sorry again)

6. howard_hopkinso

All you have to do if read and follow the instructions, it`s not rocket science. :p

7. draickin

Ok, I hope I attached the logs correctly...

8. howard_hopkinso

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the code box below into it:
    NOTE* make sure to only highlight and copy what is inside the quote box nothing out side of it.
    Also ..

Pay particular attention to this :-

Make sure the word File:: is on the first line of the text file you save (no blank line above it, & no space in front of it)
    Code:

Save this as CFScript.txt

Then drag the CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe as you see in the screenshot below.

[​IMG]

This will start ComboFix again. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), post the contents of Combofix.txt in your next reply together with a fresh HJT log.

9. draickin

The log files:

10. howard_hopkinso

That all looks clean.

Delete the following folder.

C:\qoobox

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

11. draickin

I did all this.
    Thank you for helping me clean my system, and I apologize for not reading the instructions correctly in the first place :eek:

12. howard_hopkinso

No problem mate, it just makes it easier for everyone, when folks follow the instructions properly. ;)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.