Background is not showing up in IE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am new to this forum but I thought I would stick my kneck out and ask a few questions (possibly some dumb ones). I inherited a few problems with a computer. A friend of mine asked me if I could help him fix his computer. I asked him a few questions and I am also working off of his computer as you read.

It seems his internet explorer is not showing any background images. I dont no how best to describe it so I took a snapshot of his IE window. As you all can see in the picture I've never posted here. :) Anyway there are no background immages and his fonts are unusually large. He said he changed them because he couldnt read the regular sized fonts. What has this man doe and how can I fix it? I usually search the webola for the answer but I couldnt find anything to help.

backgroundmess.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to fix the background and font issue? It's probably very simple but I cant seem to find anything about the background issue online.

System:

Custom Built Comp, Windows XP, Athlon 1800+ 1.5ghz, 512 ram

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Try this.

Open IE and click tools/internet options.

Click the Accessibility button and make sure all the boxes are unticked. Click ok/apply/ok and close IE. Run IE again and see if the problem has gone.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

all: already unticked, me: still ticked.

Well all of them are already unticked... ::shrugs:: What next?

Thanks for responding,

-J

That`s weird.

I`ve just ran IE and ticked the first three boxes in Accessibility and my backgound became exactly like yours. I then unticked them and it went back to normal.

Try ticking them and clicking ok, then go back and untick them, click ok and see what happens.

If that doesn`t work, I`m afraid I have no idea what`s wrong.

Regards Howard :)

For whatever reason, it looks like his IE cannot display ANY backgrounds, including image or solid colors for either tables, cells or pages. Weird.

The most obvious thing to me is to QUIT USING IE. Please do your friend a favor and use www.getfirefox.com. It's a better browser, more features, better HTTP technologies support, extensible, more secure and prone to less problems.

But I'd like to solve your IE issue.. just not sure where to look. Is it possible this is caused by damage from some sort of spyware or virus? Go to www.lavasoft.com and housecall.antivirus.com to check for those things.

Have you tried restting your IE to the defaults? Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Restore defaults

Also, you can try reinstalling Service Pack 2. This will reinstall Internet Explorer as well or you can even upgrade to the beta version of IE7... This will probably solve it.

Full Virus Scan nothing pops up. Still amess man I am about to just ask him to back up everything on his external drive so I can reinstall windows. I did a registry scan and found some discrepancies... several. I dont remember the name of the program I used once it asked me yo purchase the full version in order to fix the problem I erased it. I used it mainly as a diagnostic. I ran "sfc /scannow" and it asked me to put use the XP Pro disc to replace certain files. I did this and the prompt dissapeared and continued with the scan. It asked me a few more times insert disk I pressed retry a few times through this process and scan finished with nothing after finishing. :shrug:

stillamess.jpg

Anyway I've read up on most of his hardware and he seems to have a pretty nice setup here. His AMD Athlon 1800+ processor seems like it could be cranking out more than it actually is. Well he isnt very tech savy person and he seems to be doing this nice comp a great diservice by letting it work so poorly. I really want to help him out but it is looking like were gonna have to wipe it clean.

Anymore suggestions?

-J

PS we've found that the same thing happens when he opens the browser provided by his isp. The browser is a Yahoo product that is compatible with an interface that connects him to the "innaweb" can this be a memory or video card [nvidia gforce2 mx/mx 400] issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back