Background spyware message & random google results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone.

I recently caught a virus on my computer. It changed my background wallpaper to "Warning Spyware Detected on your computer! Install antivirus or spyware remover to clean your computer". I was unable to change the wallpaper through right click - properties on the background as the appearence tab was no longer there. The blue screen of death also occured as well as my computer crashing literally every time the computer loaded up. It also prevented my from connecting to the Internet through wireless, with the Internet only working through ethernet cable. I immediately ran AVG and it found a lot of trojans, which it deleted. It still did not solve the background wallpaper problem so I turned to the 'net - using a different computer searching for help.

I found a solution to my problem and my background problem was solved. I can provide details of this if you like?

I then figured out how to connect back through wireless through following some of Dell wireless support steps which I found on their website.

However, now my Internet is performing really slow AND when I search for things in Google and click some of the search results they open in new tabs in my firefox and are random websites and NOT the website URL which is specified in the search result.

For example: I searched for football and one of the first results was BBC Football website. I clicked it and it took me to a gambling website!

Before submitting this thread I read some where to download a program called hijackthis and post a log on here of the results it found. (see attachment. the scan was performed in my account in Safe mode).

If anyone has any help or advice they can offer me I'd very much appreciate it! It seems the computer is running fine since I performed the steps to remove the background wallpaper and seemingly the virus... however I'm guessing it's still there since I'm having all these random problems in Google and search engines now!

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    12.6 KB · Views: 5
Hi :

For the problem you originally described, the best Choice is the FREE Version
of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ; you may
NOT have dealt with the COMPLETE "infection" which this program generally
does . And running a "Full Scan" of the FREE Ver of "SUPERAntiSpyware" from
www.superantispyware.com could also help . Would NOT have either Lavasoft's
Ad-Aware or use the dubious "AOL Spyware Protection" .

Your HijackThis Log shows 2 different antivirus programs running, a security
no-no ; should uninstall, including the use of any "Removal Tool" that may exist,
either McAfee or AVG .

P.S. Posting a HijackThis Log while running in "Safe Mode" is of little value; Logs
of this program should be Posted when running in "Normal Mode" only unless
that "Mode" will not run .

Ok. Downloading that now. For what it's worth i'm still having other problems. I cannot open My Documents or My Computer, I get an error message, see attachment. It seems the virus is getting worse now I cannot even open these two locations!

I've completed a Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware scan and it found loads of infections. I've removed all the infections and it has now fixed my Google searching and it also seems to have stopped my computer from crashing when it loads. Is there a way I can check to ensure that my computer is free from infections and the virus? Thanks for your help

Post a HJT Log. Did you run Superantispyware? Never assume that one program will get the job done.

I have not ran Superantispyware. I have un-installed AVG and Malwareytes and performed a HJT in my normal user account. See attachment!

You need to reinstall a Anti-Virus Program. Avira is highly recommended by TS Experts.

Reset IE

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:
1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.
Note If you cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

Too many Startup programs, you need to disable some by running msconfig
Other wise your log is clean.

Hi :

Your Log indicates you have an excessive amount of programs "running"; Best to
reduce the Ones not needed at StartUp .

Your Log indicates you have Adobe Reader. Researchers found a new hackertoolkit that uses nothing but Adobe securityleaks in order to infect systems. "PDF Xploit Pack" ( http://www.trustedsource.org/blog/15...e-PDF-Exploits )adds all kind of exploits to PDF-files. When a certain exploit has succesfully infected the OS, the IP address is sent to the attackers, so they need to try again. This to reduce the time it takes to manage the bots.

Use of PDF-files is becoming more and more popular amongst malcreants, this because other toolkits also have PDF exploits now. A year ago only 3% of the exploits were PDF directed.

After uninstalling Adobe, seriously consider using the safer "Foxit Reader" .

Also noticed an outdated version of Java, a serious security risk . Should ONLY
have One "Version/Update" of this program on a computer, so I recommend you
uninstall ALL "Versions" of this program you have on your computer, then go to
www.java.com for the latest .

After uninstalling AVG, the Log indicates you still have their "WormRadar/IESite
Blocker" ; would look in your "Add or Remove Programs" and/or "All Programs"
section of your computer and IF "listed", uninstall it from there . Otherwise, have
HJT "Fix" this "Item" . For a similar program, I recommend "Finjan" from
http://securebrowsing.finjan.com/index.html .

The Log indicates you MAY have AIM !? IF true, I recommend you periodically
visit http://jayloden.com/aimfix.htm & use the FREE program there .

To see IF you MAY have other outdated programs, I recommend you use the
FREE Online Scanner at http://secunia.com/software_inspector and follow its
Recommendations .

P.S. Your original HJT Log indicated you had McAfee !? What happened to that
program ? IF you uninstalled it, you also should run its "Removal Tool" at
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=1033 . And IF you
are looking for a FREE antivirus program, I recommend Avast Home Edition,
with Info at www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html . The "negatives" of Avira is
the contant Nag Screens & their Support Forums are NOT as good as Avast's .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back