Backing up a folder using Nero???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to back up 'My Documents' which is like 4gigs....and all I have is a CDRW burner...so it will take like 6 discs to get it all. What is the easiest way to do this?

JWL

Documents are prime food for Winzip or Winrar. Stick your (sub)directories in zip-files, then burn those to CD. Winzip reduces the needed space by up to 60%, depending on the content of the document. Winrar squeezes even more.
So you might be able to burn the lot (in zip-files) on 2-3 discs.

If you have Nero ver 6.? you should have it's back up program which is quite good, and it will compress your files around 40% automatically .Should get you to 4 disks not bad.

Hey...yea I do have Nero Ultra 6...and I have used the backup feature for something that would fit on one disc...but I was just wandering...how it works when you need more than one discs...how does it know how many MB your CDR's have so that it can evenly divide up the data to fit? And will it just pop out the first CDR when its full and tell you to put in a second one and so on...

I strongly advise avoiding special backup programs whenever possible. When you want to restore something you need Nero BackItUp to be able to do it and that may be a bit difficult when your hard drive has just gone sky high or when your Nero CD happened to burn down with your computer.

JWL, if you want to put it on more than 1 cd, you will simply have to establish how much stuff will fit on 1 cd at a time.
Meaning you will have to put your pictures, and a few other files on 1 disk. A few videos on another disk. Your MP3's on another disk or 2, etc.

JWL
I just want to clearify a couple of things;
Nero backitup will automatically span more than 1 disk ( It will tell you how big the file will be ),for a large back up file it will notify you when to change disks (Good idea to mark the disks as you go)
Although Nodsu has a point about retrieving a backup when your system/Nero is down .What you asked for is a 'data' backup ,which you can retrieve because your CD 's are saved in UDF/Multisession format and can be read and copied in Explorer.And you are presupposing you have an operating system working .
Nero or most Any authoring software automatically reads a blank disk and registers how much data can fit,,With Backitup you don't have to be concerned about the size of files or if they will fit .Just make sure you have enough CD's ready.
For a backup for your O/S I would recommend Drive Image so you can store a complete image of your drives ( preferrably on a seperate hdd or external drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back