Backing up files to CD-RW

By Grizwold
Sep 13, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am running Windows 98SE on my Boxbuilt rig. I would like to back up or save my files to CD-RW instead of floppies. I am running a LG(formerly Hitachi)CD-Rom CRD8400B 16x10x40x & a Lite-On LTR-16102B. I have installed Windows Media Player ver.9. I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help me?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Have you installed any cd burning softwear such as Nero or Roxio? You will need this inorder to back up files to your cdr. Regards Howard:grinthumb
  3. Grizwold

Grizwold Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 27

Hi Howard, I thought that Windows Media Center had it's own cd burner?.!
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

AFAIK that only works under Windows XP.
  5. Grizwold

AFAIK??????
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,458   +288

as far as I know
  7. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

And I think the media player burner is only for songs and such, not data files. I'd suggest getting a real burning program like Nero, as it can do a lot more and runs better than WMP.
  8. Grizwold

I just ordered Nero 6 from a discount house for $5.00! I know it's old but i'm hoping that it will work for now. I think the only problem i'm gonna have is that it will only format cd-rw's. Thanks to everyone for the help.
  9. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Nero 6 is current and you can upgrade it to 6.3 for free. Just go to www.nero.com updates section.
  10. Grizwold

Thanks nodSU & everyone else. I guess that I'm on my way to 21st. century data storage!!
  11. m4dxdpd

m4dxdpd Newcomer, in training Posts: 19

I've been using Nero InCD 4.3.0.3 for the last month with no problems at all...(4.3.00 had issues enterfering with Panda's security and would disable it.) Anyways, after formatting your CD-RW you can do just about anything you want to just like a floppy...Drag & Drop...Paste copy...send to...ect...But the big point is, that you'll have a ton more storage than you get on a floppy...and CDs don' t get stuck in the slot like floppy sometimes can!!! :rolleyes:

12. Grizwold

Thanks for the reply Muff!N. Sounds really encouraging 'cause I've got terrasheets of "valuable" info to stow. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Nero 6 program.

The Griz
  13. m4dxdpd

I wouldn't go as far as to say that InCD is the best for doing serious storage...For that I'd use Nero Burning Rom and burn all the Data to a DVD-R for Permanent storage...Packet writing software doesn't store info on disks the same as say and ISO will and can go bad all at once with no warning at all to where all the information becomes unreadable.
  14. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

DVDs were still an infant in 2004 mate...
  15. m4dxdpd

Not really. I was using DVD's for storage in 2004 & using Nero 6 back then as well... ;)
    Believe this or not I'm still using the original DVD-RAM that came with my computer back in 2002 and it still works fine.
    When it does stop working though I'll be upgrading to a drive that will support DL DVD's and Blue-Ray now that I've upgraded to Nero 7. :grinthumb
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.