Backing up files to CD-RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizwold

I am running Windows 98SE on my Boxbuilt rig. I would like to back up or save my files to CD-RW instead of floppies. I am running a LG(formerly Hitachi)CD-Rom CRD8400B 16x10x40x & a Lite-On LTR-16102B. I have installed Windows Media Player ver.9. I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help me?

Have you installed any cd burning softwear such as Nero or Roxio? You will need this inorder to back up files to your cdr. Regards Howard:grinthumb

And I think the media player burner is only for songs and such, not data files. I'd suggest getting a real burning program like Nero, as it can do a lot more and runs better than WMP.

I just ordered Nero 6 from a discount house for $5.00! I know it's old but i'm hoping that it will work for now. I think the only problem i'm gonna have is that it will only format cd-rw's. Thanks to everyone for the help.

I've been using Nero InCD 4.3.0.3 for the last month with no problems at all...(4.3.00 had issues enterfering with Panda's security and would disable it.) Anyways, after formatting your CD-RW you can do just about anything you want to just like a floppy...Drag & Drop...Paste copy...send to...ect...But the big point is, that you'll have a ton more storage than you get on a floppy...and CDs don' t get stuck in the slot like floppy sometimes can!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply Muff!N. Sounds really encouraging 'cause I've got terrasheets of "valuable" info to stow. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Nero 6 program.

The Griz

I wouldn't go as far as to say that InCD is the best for doing serious storage...For that I'd use Nero Burning Rom and burn all the Data to a DVD-R for Permanent storage...Packet writing software doesn't store info on disks the same as say and ISO will and can go bad all at once with no warning at all to where all the information becomes unreadable.

Not really. I was using DVD's for storage in 2004 & using Nero 6 back then as well... ;)
Believe this or not I'm still using the original DVD-RAM that came with my computer back in 2002 and it still works fine.
When it does stop working though I'll be upgrading to a drive that will support DL DVD's and Blue-Ray now that I've upgraded to Nero 7. :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back