Backup Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janes

Hey.
Iam haveing trouble with the Windows backup utility, When I schedule a backup to run a certain time, it doesnt want to run but if I tell it to run the backup immediatly it works,
I wrote a simple batch file to see if it has anything to with the files it needs to backup but it doesnt even want to run the batch file at the scheduled time.
Anyone any Ideas?
This one has my brains burning!
HELP!

I am running it as Administrator (It think, cause I am logged in as Admin), there is no other account. i am running the backup wizard on windows itself (windows server 2000), and all it needs to do is back up to folders (6 gig I might add)(which shouldnt be a problem)

Backup problem.

Janes said:
Hey.
>>Iam haveing trouble with the Windows backup utility, When I schedule a backup to run a certain time, it doesnt want to run but if I tell it to run the backup immediatly it works,

It will only work if the account is password protected. There is an MS doc about it on their 'help and support', - can't remember what it's called, but search should help.

Please. Double-check. You are asked for the username and password to run the task as in the Scheduled Tasks wizard.

Thanks Nodsu, I cant believe I over looked the username and password!
I am such an (cough)*****(cough)!
LOL!!!

Janes said:
I am running it as Administrator (It think, cause I am logged in as Admin), there is no other account.

Have just re-read your post. If you are using the Admin account for surfing the web you are half a step away from disaster, no matter how many security programmes you have on board.

I suggest you set up a limited access account, give it a name, and use *only* that account for web surfing. It can be a pain at times because you will be denied access to parts of the computer while using it, but if you can't use them, neither can a hacker ( hopefully), who will need the admin password.

Make the password strong by taking (say) the initial letters from a line of poetry, a song, a prayer e.g. "We hold these truths to be self evident" could become WhTTTbse - easy to remember, not in a dictionary and difficult to crack.

little more info

Thanks for your concern.

This is my PASTEL servers, I have just started at the new job and I am still getting things in place, This server is strictly for work! no browsing whatsoever allowed, I setup a Linux machine to handle all the internet access and the proxy so I think I am reasonably secure against hackers. the closest that server comes to internet access is the one pastel pc thats connecting to it through Terminal server and they need the password anyway,

the only problem I have now with the server is when the internet connection drops(thanks to S.A's fantastic internet Company) the terminal server connection drops and the remote computer gets locked out of pastel and that means I must Restart the server. Terrible!!

Concerning my password, hehe, yeah, he's not easy alright! atleast not something like LOVE or ABC123! LOL!: haha:

Please, reply back if you think I am mistaken about something please.
(always willing to learn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back