Backup server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janes

Hi Guys.

ok, I am planning to set up a backup server.

I want your guys's opinions on what software to use as an OS etc.

Please help!

Currently each of my server (I have 4) manage their own backups and just copies them to a mapped folder on the network.

any advice will do.

Thanks ^^

What OS do you have? Server and Client? If you have Windows 2003 Server Enterprise or if you're in home office Standard. SBS Small Business Server is ideal for small business it comes with Exchange Mail Server. But in your case XP 2002, 2003 Server, MCE 2005, VISTA 2007, which ever you want will work?

Vertias Backup Exec now under Symantec Backup Exec is the best for this purpose. There might be some opensource ones available at sourceforge.net.

Yes, SBS is so ideal that it will plain not work in your existing domain for example.. :rolleyes:

Ignoring tipstir.. So what is wrong with copying files to a network drive?
Maybe tell us a bit more what you expect from this "backup server"?

Yeah, the user didn't say anything about what he has or hasn't, so why make sweeping and silly suggestions? "Sure, buy this expensive software even tho I have no idea whether it would actually work" :rolleyes:

Mmmmm

Sorry for the delay between my last post and reply.

Ok, let me explain the scenario:

I took over as I.T. Manager from an oke who didnt care one bit, so the whole system went backwards and was neglected.

Now, I am doing a complete infrastructure upgrade *meaning new pc's and server* so this time I want to do things properly, I want your opinions on What is the best software to use as Domain Controller and then Backup server ofcourse.

The things is, I want to keep this low cost, meaning I dont want to spend thousnads of bucks on licences and server software.

I am thinking of going with FC6. I will still use XP Pro on the PC's as some of the software we are using isnt compatible with Vista yet.

But I want a Domain environment to control the LAN traffic and the Internet usage and certain rights.

So what do you guys think?

Still needs some more information.. What is the Server supposed to do? Provides user authentication? Serve files? Serve printers? Share an internet connection?

First, a Windows domain doesn't have much anything to do with controlling network traffic or internet usage. It gives you centralised control over user accounts and rights, plus, in case of true Active Directory, a place you can use to look up data like peoples phone numbers, ability to automatically install software and control some Windows settings in every computer/for every user..

If you set up a Linux machine, you get Samba, which at the moment gives you centralised user management, file and printer sharing, login scripts. This would be the "domain" bit.

if you use the same server to share the internet connection, then Linux lets you control the network traffic to infinity. But since you are asking this question here, you probably don't have the know-how..

As for the backup, any kind of a special sever would be a total overkill, unless we are talking about terabytes worth of data you want to archive.
For disaster recovery you could simply use two (sets of) external hard drives. One day you use set A, the other day set B.
If you need to archive data for years, use a DVD burner, store the hard drives themselves from the enclosures or invest in a simple tape drive.

Maybe elaborate a bit more? Tell us exactly what you have and what you want to do?

mmm

Well, I know a bit about Linux, and I dont mind learning, see the thing is something is hogging my bandwith and I dont know what it is.

I need a way to control what the people is doing, by either giving rights or something else.

I have a proxy that is handling the Inet access, but it isnt working so well because the people is giving out the details to others. what exactly do you want to know to give proper advice?

Windows 2003 for domain controller, has simple wizard interface stuff on installation to configure a domain and everything else you need. Get a nice RAID 5 disk system for this to host the home directories. Maybe shop for a server from Dell or suchlike that has this built in already and has a warranty.

Something like Backup Exec http://www.symantec.com/backupexec/index.jsp would be good for the backup software. Then you need a backup device.

A tape drive would be good for this, as it offers the large capacities you'll need. But, you could also consider another Windows 2003 server with RAID, and you can then use this as a backup device, being fed over the network by the Backup software.

You can get good deals on reduced licencing costs for multi-packs of Windows 2003 server licences. If your UNIX experience is limited then stick with Microsoft, just put everything behind a firewall of some sort, and anything internet facing should have adequate protection and be constantly patched.

I need a way to control what the people is doing, by either giving rights or something else.

Group policy in Windows 2003 will allow you to control to a greater degree what users can and cannot do.

Phantasm: no group policy will do anything for controlling internet access.. At best you can force the proxy settings and that's it.

Janes: What do you mean by the proxy not working? And if someone gives out their proxy password.. Well, punish the guy who gave away the pass for everything the others do - that will make then keep their passwords to themselves.

mmm nr.3

Ok hhear what you guys are saying and thanks for the advice.

Little more info:

My backups are average size of 20-30 Gig.

You know the little box in the u/name and p/word screens that says "remember password" can you turn that off somehow, cause that will be a BIG temporary solution to my I-Net problem.

if not, that is what the people is switching on, I have some people that really are not PC Smart, So.....

How easy is Linux (FC6) to work with, can it interact easily with Windows,
I really need to cut down on my expenses as there are more crucial matters that need the money at this stage.

So....

(man I sound fussy)
(sorry)

At the moment I have a small pc that runs the backup jobs daily.
So I have that sorted out reasonbly, I can start woring on improving it now.

You can use Group Policies to force IE settings, including disabling AutoComplete. This will not help with any other browser or separate password-remembering programs.
Really, you just have to push it into their thick skulls not to use the "remember password" feature. Punish the people who do it.

That PC is just fine for backups.
How to improve on that depends on what you have the backups for. Do you need them for disaster recovery (a la the server blows up and you need the latest backup to recover) or archival (someone needs a file that was deleted three years ago)?

Ok, I will have a look at the Group Policy and if I dont get it, I will let you know.
But will that be on workgourp or on domain?

As far as the backups is concerned, It will be for Disaster recovery, which should uncomplicate things a little.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back