TechSpot

backup utility without windows xp cd

By wiss22
Mar 1, 2007
  1. i have been getting some bigbad errors on my laptop that tell me to backup. (i know it's good practice to do so anyway.)

the microsoft error page that i get redirected to tells me that there's a backup utility for windows xp, but it's not installed. i have to get the disc and install it myself, and then backup my files.

well, i was going out of my mind looking for my windows xp cd for my dell laptop but i read today that OEMs like dell, etc. don't usually send the cd.

is there some other way to get the backup utility for xp? i notice there are other downloads for backup utilities (not from microsoft). can anyone recommend a good one? or how i might get the windows xp one?

2. tweaks_sav

tweaks_sav TS Rookie Posts: 190

My favorite backup program is Karen's Replicator. It has a small profile and is VERY quick. http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

Microsoft Backup make a proprietary backup file. When you want the data later, you have to go through the Backup Utility only.

3. wiss22

wiss22 TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks so much!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.