Bad article links in Forum Mode

cliffordcooley

The Seattle Seahawks may have dominated on the field last night but it was social media that cleaned up during commercial breaks. Of the 54 national ads that aired during the big game, more than half of them included hashtags...

Read more
Results in
Page not found
We're sorry, but the page you requested could not be found

If you got here by typing a URL, please make sure the spelling, capitalization, and punctuation are correct, then try reloading the page.
I've seen this error in numerous article feeds over the last week or so.

Additional articles with the same error:
  1. https://www.techspot.com/news/55547-valve-brings-in-game-music-playback-and-control-to-steamos-and-big-picture-mode.html
  2. https://www.techspot.com/news/55545-grand-theft-auto-v-is-2013s-best-selling-video-game.html
  3. https://www.techspot.com/news/55546...icate-with-each-other-to-avoid-accidents.html
  4. https://www.techspot.com/news/55548...packed-event-galaxy-s5-likely-on-the-way.html

Last edited:
Seems to be that the forum post goes up quicker than the main page article. TS should adjust the delay, if possible.

I've had the same errors too, and only noticed it since the last big update.

Now that I have added three additional links to my previous post, I decided to check the original link. The original link was copied from the page not found location. The link now works, which leads me to think this is a timing issue with the site not internally updating correctly.

This is a bug we had resolved but somehow made its way back in the last few days. Indeed, the forum topic is going live before the news story itself. But not to worry, we should have it sorted by tomorrow. Thanks!

What is this error about? Is it related? I got this one while trying to download Firefox 27.
The server requested a login authentication method that is not supported.
LOL
After I went back to the error page, it had timed out and re-directed. I now have a popup asking for user input on Firefox 27 download.

By the way I've been meaning to ask if it helps support TS, by downloading with TS links.

To give you further context, we revamped the entire news backend of our CMS two weeks ago, and we're still finding the odd bug here and there. To prove a point here's another one we have now fixed twice but is still popping up under some scenario we've not yet discovered.

If you went to the TechSpot's frontpage you would see that those "broken" stories are not live yet, hence the 404s. Because our CMS and Xenforo are two entirely separate software packages, there's bound to be more issues with this connection than elsewhere, but rest assured we are working on it.

As for the downloads. Not sure what's broken? I tried downloading Firefox 27 from our download section and it worked well.

By the way I've been meaning to ask if it helps support TS, by downloading with TS links.

It definitely helps us when we serve you with the software updates you need. It's part of what we do, and we work hard to offer fresh updates in multiple areas (news, downloads, drivers, etc.) on a daily basis.

The best way you can support us is by sharing our site with friends, colleagues and family when they need to download something, or get informed. Being part of the community counts even more, so we're honored to have you here as well.

I hope you can get it all worked out. I like Xenforo much better than I did vBulletin. :)
As for the downloads. Not sure what's broken? I tried downloading Firefox 27 from our download section and it worked well.
All I know is after receiving an RSS feed, I visited the TS download page to start my download. I encountered the error above and came here to reported it. Then I returned to the page where I had been prompted (different tab while reporting the error) with the normal user input dialog for download options.

Windows Live Mail 2012 and Opera 12.16.

I don't think it is my RSS Reader, because I was directed to the correct download page. Unless bad parameters are suspect to causing the issue. Anyway you know these things better than I do.

If you think it is my browser at fault, I will switch to Firefox. At this point I kinda have an open mind to changing. I don't think I am going to start using the new Opera, even though I love Speed Dial. In fact I've been thinking of switching anyway, just to get off a dead horse.

It is just these issues didn't seem to start until the last site upgrade. I've been using the same version RSS reader and browser for quite some time.

I asked about the browser because when I googled the error message it came up as an Opera specific error. I won't tell you to switch, but as a daily Chrome/Firefox user I do prefer those two (in that specific order).

I can't argue with the search results. I think it is time for a change. :)

Good luck fixing the original topic. I know it must be driving you crazy sticking around, almost as if it refuses to go away.

I see the same problem with Opera v12.16 and the Firefox download page.

Attachments

• FF27TS.png
    FF27TS.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 3
Slightly off topic...

@cliffordcooley I've been using Opera 15 for a while now, and I'm really happy with it. It's got the speed of Chrome, sleekness of Opera you've come to expect, and a couple of nice Opera touches. My one major gripe about download location ... I've gotten over it, and made a new temp directory to store the junk (I can tell you more about this elsewhere).

Overall, I'm really happy, and I've kept Opera 15 as my main browser at work, home, and laptop PCs.

Back