Bad bad mobile ads (iOS)

yukka

Got ads on the site now (even when logged in) which hover at the bottom of the screen on the main site and articles, taking up 1/8 of viewing space. The cross to close them has a very small amount of space to hit so 9/10 I open the article behind the advert instead of closing the advert.

Used the site for years and this is really poor. Please fix it.

I haven't had a problem in other sites with this style of ad except where there isn't a cross (most annoying). This morning it was as if the X wasn't actually responding at all.

Hi yukka,

First, let me figure out where the ad is coming from and if it's a rotation we have approved or not. You are reading the site from an iOS device, but using the full site? (not m.techspot.com)?

Also, is the ad coming from HP, or is it a number of different advertisers? I'm only aware of a HP campaign that should be capped from frequency. And even then, I believe we had disabled certain type of ads for logged in users.

If there's a chance to take a screenshot and the issue with the 'X' to close the ad, that would help immensely as well.

Thank you.

Sorry for the formatting. There are 3 pics I just took on my ios device. For each when I clicked the x the ad disappeared but the article behind the ad was opened also. And the ads were in the articles too :)

Ok... that is NO good. Have these ads been showing up for long? I will have them removed by tonight.

I haven't had problems closing them if they have been there before today but I'm not sure. You get used to closing ads on autopilot.

They are gone now :cool: At least for now I don't foresee using that ad format in our mobile site. I hope we never have to. The ad network we work with added them without our permission. Thanks for letting us know!

Yes they are gone now. Personally I am too paranoid to click on ads especially on a windows computer but on a mobile with a sandboxed browser perhaps I should be more helpful to the site. Wonder if it might make a good weekend discussion topic since people use the site and have done for years. Do tech savvy people click on ads on sites they use regularly?

Hi yukka,

First, let me figure out where the ad is coming from and if it's a rotation we have approved or not. You are reading the site from an iOS device, but using the full site? (not m.techspot.com)?

Also, is the ad coming from HP, or is it a number of different advertisers? I'm only aware of a HP campaign that should be capped from frequency. And even then, I believe we had disabled certain type of ads for logged in users.

If there's a chance to take a screenshot and the issue with the 'X' to close the ad, that would help immensely as well.

Thank you.
@Julio, can you post the mobile link to TS? I simply went to techspot.com & saved it to my desktop on my iphone. TIA :).

Back