Bad Company 2 BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritwik7

Hi guys. I was playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 and suffered a BSOD. All settings were on High with MSAA 4x @1280x1024. After the PC rebooted I started the game again from where it crashed. No further problems.

I would like to attach the minidump here. Could anyone please tell me how? If I simply try to attach it from C:\Windows\Minidump it says that I don't have access. If I copy the file to the desktop and try to attach it here it says that it's larger than 200Kb.

I would really like to know what caused the BSOD.

Thanks.

Hey Rit! Here you go...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually -- this means you Mr. Ritwik7.

Zip those large files and you can attach easily.

Thanks Route!

Will have to zip and attach a single memory dump as it exceeds 200Kb (it's about 270Kb).

Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually -- this means you Mr. Ritwik7.

What was that for???

Attachments

• 042310-21138-01.7z
    14.7 KB · Views: 1
What was that for???

Just kidding Rit. I have to give those directions constantly so I made a template but in your case I added your name. ;)

Anyway your error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is descibed as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dump simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

I take it this is the first time you've received a BSOD? Because it was during a game perhaps the issue was with your video card with the settings so high causing a crash; perhaps overheating during a game load. It is kind of like ocing memory or a cpu and if you ease back on the timings/settings/voltage stability returns.

Make sense?

Just kidding Rit. I have to give those directions constantly so I made a template but in your case I added your name.

Ahh! And I thought I was guilty of murder! :p

Well, the way you put it, it seems like a very difficult peoblem to track down. Just another piece of info: my CPU was OC'd to 3.6 GHz. It usually is during gaming. Haven't had any issues before. Anyway, I'll continue playing and if anything further crops up I'll post back.

Thanks a lot Route! :)

You're welcome and thanks for all the help you give people here and the help you've given me. Much appreciated.

Please keep us up-to-date whether or not you experience another BSOD while playing.

Just a suggestion Rit, if you return your CPU to stock speeds (also GPU if its OCed), then play the game (I know it will feel bit slower/settings going to need some adjustments as well); but it will give you one definitive answer i.e. if at stock speeds it behaves as it should; you'll know that you were pushing your hardware bit too far with the overclocking. Regards

Update

Finished playing Bad Company 2 without any further problems.

However, right now while playing through it again, I got a BSOD. Am attaching the minidump. Don't know if any useful information can be obtained from it. Banking on you guys.

Attachments

• 042910-21652-01.7z
    14.4 KB · Views: 1
Rit, it is another 0x124 error that was defined in an earlier post. As you know overclocking is one of the reasons this error can occur. Did you ease back on your timings and voltages prior to this BSOD per Archean's advice or did you keep your oc settings?

Hi Route!

No, my CPU was OC'd to 3.6 GHz as before. I have been playing Bad Company 2 for about a week and this is my second BSOD. My system has been OC'd all this while. As I had not experienced any further problems after my first BSOD I had not bothered to ease back on the OC. Since the second BSOD has occurred quite some time after the first I'm wondering if cutting out the OC will help me determine much. Anyhow I'll try.

Hi Route!

No, my CPU was OC'd to 3.6 GHz as before. I have been playing Bad Company 2 for about a week and this is my second BSOD. My system has been OC'd all this while. As I had not experienced any further problems after my first BSOD I had not bothered to ease back on the OC. Since the second BSOD has occurred quite some time after the first I'm wondering if cutting out the OC will help me determine much. Anyhow I'll try.

Perhaps it will be just a sporadic thing. Usually these errors are tenacious causing havoc on a daily basis, often multiple times per day.

Hey Guys !!!

My hunch is that probably Rit is pushing things bit too far, as I suggested earlier probably stepping back slightly from that speeds, the system may become stable. Regards

My hunch is that probably Rit is pushing things bit too far, as I suggested earlier probably stepping back slightly from that speeds, the system may become stable. Regards

Hi Archean!

My system has previously passed OCCT clocked at 3.6GHz. I haven't had any issues in any other games before. That includes Crysis which is said to be OC sensitive. However, you could still be right. It's summer here and maybe the temperature of the system soars on occasions when I turn off the AC.

Thanks for all the inputs guys. :)

Yo guys! Rit, I'm just wondering if this particular game pushes your system to a higher temperature than any other. I was dealing with a person who was experiencing the 0x124 and the culprit was his cpu but eveh more so he had dust build up on the fan and around the cpu. Once cleaned the temperature dropped and the error disappeared.

We know you keep a clean system. What I am wondering is if it is a heat issue pushing beyond the safe parameters

We know you keep a clean system. What I am wondering is if it is a heat issue pushing beyond the safe parameters.

Could very well be. I actually am planning to give my system a nice cleaning in a few hours. It's been a while. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back