Bad MB RAM Socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sol1109

I have a new build of less than one month old. I have had an occasional reboot or two the most recent of which responded with a windows error report identifying a memory error as the cause of the reboot and recommending downloading Windows memory diagnostic tool. When I ran this tool I received a high number of failures with the last two bytes of the string not comparing.

After moving my memory around I believe I have isolated it to a motherboard socket. I have four sockets for DDR2 memory. Either of my two modules placed in socket 3 responds with errors during the test but the three other sockets experience no errors.

Power Supply, SeaSonic S12 SS-650HT
Motherboard, Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
Memory, OZC Reaper OCZ2RPR11502GK
Video Card, Gigabyte GV-R485OC-1GH
Drive, Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB

After several days of Emails with Gigabyte support nothing has changed. I have run memtest in enhanced mode with the memory in the second set of dual memory slots without any errors but if I move the memory back to the first set of slots the RAM in slot three produces srrors immediately. I cannot wait any longer or I will run out of my 30 day exchange window with NewEgg so I am going to request a replacement motherboard.

A bad ram slot is a posibility (although I have never actually seen one personally). It is far more likely an electrical connection or chip connected to the slot is bad or loose. reguardless you should definitely RMA the board. I personally have that motherboard and can tell you that it is fantastic. As with all products some may be defective or get damaged during shipping (I have seen several surfice mount components on various components get dislodged during shipping over the years).

I agree dmill89. I am an Electrical Engineer and spend a good amount of my time designing and laying out circuits. memtest returns the last two bytes of the string as compare errors but not 100% of the time and not in combination with any seating or flexing issues with the module. One frustration I have had with Gigabyte tech support is that I state something in the email and several days later I have to state it again like they don't pay attention to the previous comments. They have been quick to respond, within 24 hours but just not attentive to the thread history.

Take advantage of NewEgg's liberal return policy. Let them test it and fix it, while sending you a new board.

UPDATE: Returned MOB by RMA with a REPLACE status. Newegg received my return and changed status to REFUND without explanation so I called customer support and was told this was done because they were out of the MOB so they could not replace it. But while I was on the phone with them I had it on my monitor as in stock to which they had no response.

I placed a new order and it was $20 cheaper than when I first bought it. When it arrives I will assemble and run memtest first.

Way to go Newegg, New motherboard arrived today less than 48 hours after placing new order.

New motherboard, same problem

Let me recap.

Motherboard, Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R
Memory, OZC Reaper OCZ2RPR11502GK (from Gig. QVL list)

If either of the two modules is installed in DDR2_3 socket memtest returns errors. The three other sockets work fine. I had a daily email thread with Gigabyte and they could not resolve the issue prior to my returning the first motherboard. Now that the second motherboard shows the same problem I can only surmise that the QVL list is not that reliable. I can run the two sticks in the second channel but not the first without occasional crashes.

It is too late to return the memory but I am considering going with another set from Crucial, model CT2KIT12864AA1067. It is designed for 1.8V operation whereas the OCZ memory is 2.1V (also not pointed out in the QVL list)

Any inputs from those with some memory experience would be helpful.

while it is certainly possible to have bad ram sockets - I had one after a spike in an older gateway (and yes it was on a surge protector), it is rare. However, it would be more likely that there could be a defective run in the production of the motherboard itself. Have you considered trying another brand or type of motherboard?

Also it is possible the ram itself is either of the wrong type or brand for that particular mobo also. This would also explain continuous problems.

I also seem to remember that newegg also has an account here on TS - perhaps they can help or defend their sale here....

newegg are you around?

cheek the voltages in the bios. I know that the EP45C-UD3R has a tendency to default to 1.8v (the actual spec for DDR2) unless it is adjusted manually. I'm running 1.8v (well 1.9v but close enough) Ram in mine and have had no problems. I have heard if you run higher voltage ram and adjust the bios settings manually it works fine as well.
The memory you're useing looks like it is DDR2 1066 that is factory overclocked and overvolted slightly

This Is what I'm useing but it is a little slower (salvaged from my last system)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

Tedster: Thanks for your input. This is the second mobo of the same model. I have not considered an alternate as it took me several months to settle on Gigabyte as my choice and even then I had to move from the P35 to the P45 due to the rapid turnover. As for the RAM it is specifically listed as approved on Gigabytes QVL list and since it works in every socket except one I do not believe the modules are the problem. I do plan to talk to GB again about this latest experience.

dmill89: I have changed the default setting from AUTO to 2.1V. I also changed the performance setting from TURBO to STANDARD per conversations with GB support. I am not planning on heavy gaming mostly standard home use so I am considering a memory set that runs at 1.8V. I just wish the QVL list was more reliable and not costing me 2+ months. Thanks for your input as well.

1.8v and even DDR2 800 will likely work fine my system posts 5.9's across the board in the vista experience rateings and seems to do everything (includeing games) verry well despite the old DDR2 800 memory. I've heard not to use 1066 with this board since that seems to be problimatic (your memory had was likely overclocked 1066). I would either stick with 800 or jump to 1333 or even DDR3 if you can find it cheep enough since this board supports it.

On a side note I know how you feel I had an ASUS board a few years back ( I don't remember the model # but it was a first gen LGA 775 board [P4 prescott] with a VIA chipset). I had some samsung pc3200 that was on the supported list and the board simply refused to boot. I finally got fed up and replaced the sticks with a couple super-talent modules (not on the list) and the board worked just fine and never had a problem after that.

Thanks dmill89. I am thinking of trying Crucial since I use Micron chips at work and think the company is fine. They also seem to be priced below many of the competitors who do not make the chips themselves. DDR3 seems to be about three times the price but from what I have been able to read you do not get three times the performance.

This is my third build and the only one to give me trouble. At least there are great sites like this one to seek answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back