Bad memory? (including MemTest results)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I've been getting a lot of BSOD's in regards to page file errors in non paged areas. So I read that it could be because of bad Memory. So I run memTest for 24 hours and I get a total of four errors. I can post all the info if needed.

Is four errors too many? Mind you, it didn't get any errors until the 6th time through, The others were in Pass 37, so it's not like it's happening all over the place.

If anyone could help me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Or if you could point me to a list that explains MemTest results.

Thanks!
Tony

There should be no errors, ever.

The RAM doesn't have to be "bad" though - it could work just fine with less aggressive timings or better cooling or maybe the RAM slots just need some cleaning.

Can you link me to some info on that kind of stuff? I don't have my computer overclocked or any other performance boosting.

I built it myself maybe five months ago.

Well, take out the RAM, clean the slots with some compressed air and reseat the modules.

There should be some memory timing options in the BIOS setup, but the specific settings are highly motherboard-dependent.

Use any temperature utility to see if your computer is running too hot.

any errors with memtest are bad. If you're overclocking - don't. It shortens the life of components. Replace the RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back