Bad wireless, need help plz!

By korrupt
Oct 28, 2006
  1. Hey all,

I have wireless on my laptop, and when it works its great, but more often than not it doesn't. Basically it loses its connection with the modem/router quite frequently, the odd thing is that it seems to happen only when the laptop has been used for a while. It happens more often when I am further away from the router, but the odd thing is; when it is connected, it says the signal strength is excellent/very good. Even when I am 20metres away from the router.

Both ad hoc and transmit power are set to highest.

I am not experienced with networking, so please treat me like a newbie when explaining things:)

Thank you very much for your reply.

2. zazazoom

zazazoom TS Rookie Posts: 84

so what kind of wireless router do you have? i have a wrt54GL upgraded the i can't remember..but it runs great on my gf's wireless ..i'm at work right now and its been awhile since i touched the config on my router settings..
    .ooo i found the firmware
    These are the two i recommend:

Here's the rest:

I use HyperWRT personally I perfer it..:) goodluck!
  3. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 716

Its a dynalink RTS1025W, but I can't upgrade the firmware since technically the router isnt mine.
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Adhoc? This shouldn't be used with your wireless setup. Most wireless client -> router setups use infrastructure mode.
  5. SultanGris

SultanGris TS Booster Posts: 158

Do you have any other wireless pc's to check if its just that pc, or your router causeing the problem?

My sister is having a similar problemm with her dell laptop, ive done everything i can think of, including a format reinstall, and its still works intermitently. being no expert in wireless myself, and as i have another wireless pc that works just fine on the same network, i can only assume that its a hardware problem with her laptop, even though its less than 6 months old, and she claims shes never dropped it or anything.
  6. zazazoom

zazazoom TS Rookie Posts: 84

if you google it u can find alot without even writing questions with your kind of problem hmm...i googled my router questions/problems...figured it out in a matter of 2 days..
    anyway what are your comp specs? could be a chance ure cpu load/ram could be causing your disconnections.
  7. Blakhart

Blakhart TS Rookie Posts: 353

If you use the windows wifi app to run your wifi, you need to have ssid enabled at the router/ap. Without ssid running you will shortly lose signal when you know you should have a powerfull signal.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.