Baffling connectivity problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a client whose pc gets 50-100% packet loss when pinging anything on the net. He is connected directly to a Time Warner road runner modem. He often can't even contact his DHCP server to get an address.

Here's where the weirdness starts. I bring his pc to my shop, connect it directly into my Time Warner road runner modem, and IT WORKS FINE. 0% loss.

I bring MY modem to his house and connect it, same 50-100% loss problem as before.

I bring MY PC to his house and connect it to his modem (or my modem) and it works fine there! 0% loss.

So this problem is totally inconsistent. I can't reproduce it with his pc at my shop and don't know how I can fix it given the variables.

We are on different subnets ... he is on a 72. and I am on a 74.

I cleaned his pc up and it has nothing left but Zango, which keeps coming back after I remove it. But this seems irrelevant to the problem since it works fine at my place.

Any ideas? Any information I didn't include?

This is wierd... It has to be your clients machine. What type of Network Interface adapter is on your clients computer? On-board, PCI card or USB?

It's a 3Com Etherlink XL PCI card. Hmmm, now that you mention it, it's plugged into a yellow PCI slot (PCI Extreme?). Do you think that has anything to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back