BAH! Help PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
To cut the story short, my brother managed to fry his mobo last week.

The only other hardware affected was his 120gb hdd.

So now ive brought him a new mobo and hdd. Ive managed to set up both. However when i insert the XP setup disk, it boots up and gives me a BSOD after its loaded everything, just after is displays "Setup is starting Windows"..

Keep in mind, this is an installation of Windows XP Pro using a brand new mobo and hdd. Ive set the jumper settings, the hdd is master and cd-rom is slave.

None of the PCI slots are in use.

The memory is OK as i tried a stick from my pc and i got the same error.

Please help

its looking grim :/ could it be that the new hdd i brought is corrupt? Else if it is, i could get it replaced as i only got it a day ago BRAND NEW!

Well

Even though you tried two differnt types of memory it still sounds like a memory issue. Is the motherboard the same as the one that he fried ?

If not what type is it and what type of memory do you have....It is possible that it is the new hdd also but most BSOD in windows xp setups are memory related.

Are you sure the MOBO isn't shorting out on a standoff? Also, try putting the CD-rom, as master, on IDE 2. I have seen some MOBOs that require using cable select, for the drives, you could try that.

If neither, of the above, are the fault, then it has to be either, your Memory, CPU, Power Supply, Faulty Windows install, or a BIOS setting.

JimShady23: I dont think it could be a memory issue. I have 2 256mb sticks in my PC whereas my brother has 1 512mb stick in his. I took out his stick and tried one of mine, and i was still getting the same error. The stick which i tried in his PC is working fine in mine as we speak. I chucked away his old mobo and brought him a new ASUS A7V600-X mobo. The place where the PSU's lead goes into a slot into the mobo got fried on his old pc, but we are still using his old PSU. Just now i was trying out different stuff and tried lowering his CPU speed in BIOS to around 1233MHz whereas his CPU speed is 2.08GHz. That never worked, but the temperature monitor was reporting the CPU being 69C so i turned it off immediatly. You raised a point about a dodgy setup disk. Ive tried two perfectly fine XP setup disks and both reported the same problem.

just_a_nobody: I have ruled out a faulty windows install as ive tried out 2 different copies. I flashed his BIOS to update it to a newer version. Ive tried out my own settings as well as default settings but nout. Ive switched his gfx card to see if it was that but it wasnt. Ive tried switching on the CD-RW and DVD-RW one at a time but it isnt them either.

Just a few mins ago his CPU temp rose to 70C so i turned his PC off.

I honestly believe JimShady23 is right about this one. Even though the memory is good, it doesn't mean that it's the correct type. It obviously fits in the new mobo, which is a plus, but some mobos still don't use older memory speeds at all. I would go out to best buy and pickup a stick of memory that has the same speed rating as what the manufacturer of the board recommends and try that. If it doesn't work, you don't loose any money because you can take it back. This is a semi-quick test. Good luck.

Weird

Kinda wierd that his CPU temp is running that high idle, no OS loaded or anything....basically doing nothing......

Does the bios show voltages ? Check and see how stable they are also.....The PSU may be the culprit in this case and may need to be replaced...What was the mannor in wich he fried his board ? Was he tring to overclock or was it just random......A voltage spike in many area's will cause the the cpu to run hotter, give the memory too much juice and also on the 12v rail damage some other connected componants....If it is bad your just gonna fry the motherboard again and this time maybe more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back