Bandwidth Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

hey,

im on a belkin 4 port router i have a 4meg b-band connection with 4 computers running up to the router and was wondering is there a way to give a 1 meg connection each to the 4 computers cus when im playing an online game & my dads downloading then i cant play they game and start lagging like heck for

help for a windows XP pro (SP2) machine

thanks in advance

only special routers can fo this or managed switchs
I'm sure you read the manual on your router ,right??
if not available got to there website and find FAQ sheets
my router allows to stop access and and be setup on hrly or daily,weekly basis
my switch allows to cap bandwidth
if you have access to the machines'you can try putand hide the software (do google search) on there machines.
I know of people saying they have shares like this and when using P2P on 1 the other is slow ,I have not had this issue on testing stations
but when the router is getting hammered like this with 1 isp address you can get this problem
another thought if using static
the dns ip numbers try flipping them might just help
do you know where the setting is for your nic

Whoa, you got a router that can do that? Any suggestions on any newer routers with the same capability for ADSL2+?

Hey, thanx for the quick response

You meantion about flipping my DNS address, how would i go about doing that? And i dont know the settings for my NIC is :(

I think when he meant flipping DNS, he meant go to:
start>control panel>network connections>local area connection (or whatever you use to conenct to internet)>properties>Internet protocol (TCP/IP)>Properties>General.

Then you see the bottom bit, there's the "Use the following DNS addresses", just switch the top numbers for the bottom ones.

it's not my router all I can do is stop access with that
the intel switch router, not the same exactly, does the limiting
here's some links
1 2 3
static setup for routers
turn off dhcp in router
each nic is static setup
default gateway 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 what ever matchs the router lan ip
the first numbers 192.168.1.10 and up for each nic
default mask 255.255.255.0
DNS ip numbers go down below
find them in the router status type in your url 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 look for the staus and look for WAN dns

For XP users, OEM software is available to throttle p2p and file sharing.

Vista (Longhorn) will have DRR enabled to eleminate bandwidth hogs (see Policy-based QoS)

Think we're going off topic guys. Should have asked my question in another thread :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back