Bang for the Buck: Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500GB Review

Steve

Staff member

bang buck samsung ssd evo 500gb review samsung storage ssd ssd 850 evo

About a year ago we got our first look at Samsung’s TLC flash-based SSD 840 Evo series, which set a new benchmark for affordable SSDs. In spite of its affordable nature, the 840 Evo was a great performer and wasn’t far off pace when compared to the upper echelon of SSDs, including Samsung's own highly regarded 840 Pro.

The only question mark surrounding the 840 Evo was reliability as it used rather unproven TLC flash which was specified to provide less writes than more traditional MLC memory. A year later we still have our original 1TB sample and it is going strong. Notwithstanding, it's time for an update.

The 850 Evo shares many of the same technologies found in the 850 Pro we reviewed last June and proclaimed the fastest 2.5" SSD money can buy. However, by using TLC V-NAND the 850 Evo is much more cost effective.

Read the complete review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review @Steve, still rocking my 840 Pro 512gb drive and probably will for the next good while. I have to say though if SSD's like the 850 Evo or MX100 I would have bought two 500ish drives and ran them in Raid 0 for the performance over just a single 840 Pro.

I find it funny how Crucial released the MX200 today :D. I don't think it is significant enough to update the review though.

I always kinda liked those TLC based ssd's or rather samsung approach taking their superb flash and make it TLC for money saving. Still having two old 840 ssd's (and one replaced on warranty by 840evo). But outside of USA, those evo drives are just to expensive. mx100 and sandisk ultra II are quite a bit cheaper.

I upgraded from an 840 Pro (256) to an 850 Pro (256) when they came out. The 850 Pro was so good, I added an 850 Pro (512). I'm debating about replacing my WD 1TB Black Caviar with a new 850 EVO. Prices have come down enough I can seriously consider going 100% SSD. I've also been watching the PCIe SSDs, but for now, they're too expensive for what I need.

I upgraded from an 840 Pro (256) to an 850 Pro (256) when they came out. The 850 Pro was so good, I added an 850 Pro (512). I'm debating about replacing my WD 1TB Black Caviar with a new 850 EVO. Prices have come down enough I can seriously consider going 100% SSD. I've also been watching the PCIe SSDs, but for now, they're too expensive for what I need.
Is there a big difference in performance from the 840 to the 850? Looking to upgrade but wondering it it's worth the added cost.

Is there a big difference in performance from the 840 to the 850? Looking to upgrade but wondering it it's worth the added cost.

https://www.techspot.com/review/838-samsung-850-pro-ssd/

No it isn't. I assume JC713 meant that we don't need to re-write this review with the MX200 included which is kind given it isn't released yet, rather it has been announced (coming soon).
Thanks for the clarification. @cliffordcooley sorry for the confusion... I wrote that comment in a hurry :p.

Steve, will we be seeing a MX200 review soon?

Was seriously considering this drive but the SM951 looks like it is achieving more of the potential of flash storage.

I just love my samsung SSd and it will ways be samsung for me they have the best and I think it will take something mighty to beat them.

Back