Brighter

Barebone Kit Specs:

Biostar H61ML Intel H61 LGA1155 Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2400 3.1Ghz LGA1155 CPU
ADATA PREMIER SERIES 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ DESKTOP x 2
Seagate 1TB LP Serial ATA HD 5900/32MB/SATA-3G
DIABLOTEK CPA-0280 ELITE 450W ATX MID TOWER

The issue:

I purchased this barebone kit from a website and the first time I assembled everything in, turned it on and the fans would spin for a few seconds and turn back off.

I called support and they asked me to call Biostar to identify the problem, I called them and after a few troubleshooting steps such as removing everything and connect everyone one by one while testing.

The computer turns on right away without issues when the ram and everything else was connected, except the processor since we weren't there yet.

Turned the computer off and placed the processor, when I turned the PC back on it would spin the fans for 2 to 3 seconds and that was all the activity.

The Biostar tech told me the issue was the processor, I called back the company where I got the barebone kit and explained the steps taken to identify the issue. The person on the line decided to issue a replacement and expedited the shipment after they had proof that the defective part was at the UPS Facility.

After a week, the replacement processor arrived, I connected the security strip to my wrist and started to insert the CPU to the motherboard.. same problem.

The PC turns on, but then it turns back off within a 2 to 3 seconds.

Not enough time for the motherboard to create any beeps or display anything in the monitor.

Called back and the same steps were taken, the Biostar tech said the second processor was also causing the issue but if I still think it was the motherboard that I should call back and request a replacement. So I did and today after more than 10 days I got a new motherboard.

I put everything back together just to find the same issue!

So far, I have tried 2 processors and 2 motherboards with no success.

The powersupply came with the case and I'm starting to get suspicious that it may be causing the issue, but how?

Everything works, the fans spin and the pc stays on while the CPU is out of the motherboard, but it doesn't work when the CPU is in the motherboard.

I'm extremely irritated with the company and their replacements, as well as the shipping methods they use.. Whenever I request a replacement they want me to pay for a new order to have it shipped the very same day which I think it is unacceptable when I already paid full price for a barebone kit that I expect it to be working upon arrival.

Unfortunately I don't have another powersupply to test if that's actually causing the issue.

Is there anyone here that can shine some light into this situation?

In advance, thank you very much.

Can you confirm that you are using the motherboard standoffs? If not, the motherboard is shorting to the case.

Can you confirm that you are using the motherboard standoffs? If not, the motherboard is shorting to the case.

The motherboard is currently out of the case right now. It is on top of the foam it came with. I would really like to have everything working before I place it back into the case.

I can provide photos if needed.

With the motherboard outside the case, that would eliminate shorting to the case as an issue. I wouldn't be surprised if you were right about the power supply. PSUs that come with cases are often of questionable quality. Do you have access to a known good PSU to test with?

With the motherboard outside the case, that would eliminate shorting to the case as an issue. I wouldn't be surprised if you were right about the power supply. PSUs that come with cases are often of questionable quality. Do you have access to a known good PSU to test with?

I went to the basement because I usually collect computer parts and I found an old gateway pc with the powersupply still in it and I tested the motherboard with the processor in it and guess what?

It works! :)

I've wasted 3+ weeks and I finally know what it was causing the issue. My heart is now back in place and ready to request a replacement on the case with the powersupply, or just go to bestbuy and get a good quality powersupply.

I'm so excited, you have no idea!

Thank you very much mailpup.

ps: Found this forum while looking for a solution, I love how you guys help everyone with their issues, I will be sure to visit often :)

I'm glad you got it figured out. If it's not too late, I'd just get a good quality power supply. It's simpler, quicker and better in the long run than to get another questionable PSU with the case.

Back