Barnes & Noble CEO William Lynch resigns, effective immediately

Shawn Knight

Staff member

barnes

Barnes & Noble announced on Monday that chief executive officer William Lynch has resigned, effective immediately. No reason was given for his sudden departure although one could likely surmise that it may have something to do with the company’s recent decision to stop producing Nook tablets.

In the interim, Michael P. Huseby has been appointed CEO of Nook Media and president of Barnes & Noble. Additionally, Allen Lindstrom, vice president and the company’s corporate controller, has been promoted to chief financial officer of Barnes & Noble and will report directly to Huseby while Kanuj Malhotra, vice president of corporate development, has been promoted to chief financial officer of Nook Media.

In a statement on the matter, Lynch said he appreciated the opportunity to serve as CEO over the past three years. He further noted that he leaves behind a great executive team and board and looks forward to the many innovations Barnes & Noble will bring its millions of customers in the future.

Company chairman Leonard Riggio said they were reviewing their current strategic plan and will provide an update when appropriate. As of writing, stock value is down more than four percent in afterhours trading.

Lynch took over the reins in 2010 and was instrumental in moving towards digital with a heavy push to expand the company’s Nook line of tablets. It’s a gamble that ultimately failed as Barnes & Noble revealed last month that losses in the division helped to wipe out profits generated at their retail bookstores.

Permalink to story.

Tough. But that's how it goes when investors don't receive the conservative 1000% return they expect on their investment.

Tough. But that's how it goes when investors don't receive the conservative 1000% return they expect on their investment.

Perhaps... or maybe it's because of ..
.. a heavy push to expand the company?s Nook line of tablets. It?s a gamble that ultimately failed as Barnes & Noble revealed last month that losses in the division helped to wipe out profits generated at their retail bookstores.

And as an owner of a Nook I can say it had some big flaws. They put their own layer over Android and restricted Play store apps. You have to root it and load a custom ROM to use it like a normal tablet. Then it becomes a normal android tablet PLUS a good e-Reader because of B&N custom reading apps like their kids material 'Read-to-me' books.

I don't think tablets failed them, I think their tablet got it wrong. Oh... and the Nexus 7 came out 4 months afterward and cost the same without the restrictions. That didn't help either.

Back