Barnes & Noble releases Nook v1.1 firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

If you recently purchased a Barnes & Noble Nook e-book reader, you'll be delighted to know that a new firmware update has been released. Nook v1.1 allows customers to connect to Barnes & Noble's free in-store wireless Internet, providing access to "exclusive content and promotions." The latest firmware version also brings several other changes:

• Improved page turn and formatting of downloaded eBooks.
  • Improved startup time for My Library, The Daily, and Settings.
  • Immediate launch of the reader upon choosing Select from The Daily and My Library, for books and subscription issues that have already been downloaded; otherwise the book detail page is displayed, with Download as the first option.
  • Elimination of the page skipping that has occurred in certain PDB eBooks.
  • Status bar (battery indicator, signal indicator, and clock) is displayed in reader.
  • Overall system improvements.

Customers can apply Nook v1.1 via an "Over the Air" (OTA) update, or by manually downloading the software here. Barnes & Noble reportedly plans to conduct a larger Nook software update early next year, so keep an eye out for upcoming changes.

Permalink to story.

Looks like a pretty nice reader so far. Not that I'd buy it, as it's US only and I also realised recently that e-book readers are a mess (due to formats and DRM) and that really put me off.

Yeah, i will wait on the readers as well. My ipod touch does fine for me right now if i need to read something otherwise i have a backlog of "analog" books that need to be read anyway ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back