Barton 2500 strange problem :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
:wave:

Hey.

this is my first post here, and i have to admit im quite new to all of this so forgive me if i seem out of my depth. sooo, i was wonderin' what any of you lovely people might think to this problem i have...

basically im running an ASUS A7V8X-X board with an AMD barton 2500 CPU, 512MB DDR333, ATI X1 Gfx, Zalman cooler, latest BIOS update installed, XP SP2. I know none of these components are particularly cutting edge, but im a student and i kinda like to get them working right.

Everything is fine with the CPU running at 1467mhz, set on auto in the BIOS (Multipiler 11, External Freq' 133/33, V-core 1.650v). However im told the chip is designed to run at 1833mhz (which would be Multiplier 11, External Freq' 166/33, V-core 1.650v). And soooo here's the catch....

Everything is fine at the slower clock speed, but as soon as i try set the right speed of 1833mhz i get random bluescreens in XP at different points. The error messages are generally similar, but usually its one of about 4 or 5 nasty 0x00000000etc problems). And im pretty sure its not a heat issue.

can anybody help. Im well stuck... seems abit strange.

also appologies is the answer is dead obvious.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Cheers :grinthumb

You may have defective ram. How long ago did you get it / is it still under warranty?

A bad cpu or board is possible but far less likely than ram. It's often that I get ram which will work at 100/133mhz, but fail at 166 or 200 even if it is pc3200 (200mhz).

thanks for the info :)

I've had the RAM for about a year and a half i think. its been in and out of all sorts of different machines.

I guess the only way to find out would be to try some new stuff. I hadn't thought of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back