TechSpot

Battery cannot be identify

By bbqchip
Feb 21, 2008
  1. I just got a new battery for my Dell Inspiron 700m but it doesnt work. When turning on my laptop it goes to a black screen saying battery cannot be identify press F1 to continue but the light for charging battery is on. I just recently reformated the laptop and lost everything. Is there somthing I need to download for it?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Does the old battery give you this screen too? Did you make sure that the new battery was the right one for your model?

3. bbqchip

bbqchip TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yea i had the same problem with the old battery. I got the new battery from a dell battery recall so Im sure its the right one.

4. Tmagic650

So with the battery out and using the AC adapter, with the laptop power up normally? You might have to reset the bios settings or the "new" battery is bad

5. bbqchip

how do i reset bios setting?

6. Tmagic650

When you first start up the laptop, there will be a press F2 or F12 or some key to get into setup. Press the appropriate key and select bios defaults or "reset bios" and reboot

7. bbqchip

k im in the setup but cant find the bios defaults or reset bios

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.