Battlefield 1942 Rebooting My computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taima

I like the Battlefield games (I have Vietnam, 2, and 1942 and soon getting the Armored Fury Booster pack for 2.)

Although it's an old game, I wanted to play Battlefield 1942 because it seemed pretty cool. Well I bought it and when I played it, it ran fine. I stopped playing it for a few months and played CoD2 and Bf2 and AA instead.

I only keep one game on my computer at a time unlesss its like Bf2 and some small game like Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. I uninstalled Bf2 and installed 1942. Now when I play it, anywhere from 5min to a half hour into game play, the computer makes a sound like there's a switch or something inside and restarts the entire computer. This doesn't make sense because I can play every other game I own except that. There has been an increasing problem with bf2 though. My fps is a lot worse than it was when I bought it last August even thought I went from a geforce fx 5200 to a 6200.

System Specs:
Amd Athlon 2800+ 2.13ghz
512mb Ram 27gb hard drive
BFG GeForce 6200 OC 256mb

I'm only hazarding a guess here but there might have just been a problem with the installation, so I reckon you should try uninstalling and reinstalling the game first. Another thing I've just noticed is that you oc'ed your 6200, so can you tell us what kind of oc you did? It actually sounds more like a graphics card problem since I re-read the post, so can you give us your psu wattage and the amps on the 12v rail (on the sticker) if possible? And the card temps, that'd be good too.

I'm pretty sure it's not the installation because it happened last month too and I gave up on it but I tried again this month, so I doubt that's the problem. I didn't personally do it myself, it came that way.

I don't think I can give you the psu wattage and the amps cause I have pretty much no idea what that even is. And I don't know how to find out the temps.

Sorry for the lack of information

Did you overclock the card or does that oc mean something else?
BFG GeForce 6200 OC 256mb
cause it sounds like the card is being, or has been burned out. The psu info can be found on the sticker, so just open up your pc and take a look. As for the card temps, check if you have a nvidia settings icon in your quick items (in the bottom right hand corner of your screen) If you do, click it and then click nvidia display and then temperature settings. If you don't have nvidia settings tell me.

No it can't be burned out because 5min ago I was playing Battlefield 2 lol. And the OC means overclocked because when I got it, the box said that it was already overclocked for maximum gameplay yadda yadda yadda right now the temperature is 40C

Why is there never an easy problem... :rolleyes:
Ok, can you try downloading different drivers for the 6200? Does the problem occur with the fx 5200? Did you re-install the game?
I'm pretty sure it's not the installation because it happened last month too and I gave up on it but I tried again this month, so I doubt that's the problem. I didn't personally do it myself, it came that way.
:confused: It came installed?

It's possible your system is encountering a fatal error and simply rebooting before you have a chance to read the error. Windows XP, by default, does this.. which is really stupid!

You can set XP to halt so you can inspect any fatal/stop errors by:
1) Right-Click on "My Computer" and select Properties
2) Go to the Advanced and click the "Settings" button under the group "Startup and Recovery"
3) Uncheck the "Automatically Restart" button.
4) Click OK and keep clicking OK until you're back to your desktop.

This will force XP to stop/wait on a fatal error rather than just rebooting. It will stop/halt and wait for you to press a key to reboot. This will allow you to reproduce your issue in hopes of seeing a blue-screen error and finding out if this is indeed your issue.

If after this your system is still just rebooting (no blue-screen error at all), chances are pretty good you have a power supply or cooling related issue. I'd inspect your power supply as well as case, cpu and videocard fans/heatsinks for built-up dust or if they are even spinning.

Good luck!

Okay 1. Paranoid guy- When I got my graphics card, it was Overclocked. The card was already overclocked before I put it in my computer which means I never needed to overclock it myself because it was already overclocked lol.
2. Sharkfood- Okay I don't think it's possible for it to be anything like power supply because it wouldn't make sense that Battlefield 1942 could be taking up more power and whatnot than a game much more graphically complicated.
3. Sharkfood- I'm gonna install it again and see what happens And I'll make another post.

Well I played for a while and I don't know if it would have rebooted but the game just crashed to the desktop and left my screen resolution at 800x600. So one problem has been solved to leave another one

I thought you were talking about the game installation! :blush: Ok, so did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the game?
I got this off a bf1942 faq
1.02 - The game crashes to the desktop!

First, check the minimum requirements and your drivers, as listed above.

It seems that the latest sound driver from VIA (AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller WDM, v6.14.1.13890 -- WHQL) causes BF1942 to crash to desktop. Downgrade (roll back) to C-Media Inc. v5.12.1.23, provided by Syntax on the accompanying CD, until VIA fixes the problem.

What follows is from the EA support site. Go to: My computer, then C drive, then Program Files, EA GAMES, Battlefield 1942, Mods, bf1942, then the Settings folder. In that folder you will see a file called VideoDefault.con. You will want to double click this file to open it. If it asks you what Program to use (in Windows XP you will first want to choose "Display a list of programs for me to choose from), choose Notepad or Wordpad. In there you will see a line with this command:

renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0

Change the 0 to a 1 and then Save the file. This will allow refresh rates above 60 Hz in the game.

This will enable a different refresh rate for every resolution in the in-game menu.

Another possibility: look in the BIOS and make sure that the fast write option for the AGP driver is enabled.

One other possibility: shut down MSN Messenger if you have it running.

If you crash to the desktop and have a VIA chipset-based motherboard, look here and here (under "Graphics Glitches").
Maybe this applies to you?
Maybe you should check the tech part of planetbatttlefield here

Well I went to the planetbattlefield thing and I followed the instructions for a clean installation. Since I had the rebooting thing disabled I decided that I would watch the temperatures. I played for about 15min and then it crashed. The temperature of the graphics card at the time was 44C which I know is not very hot for a card because the threshold is at 145C so it's not an overheating issue. I'm going to try the thing in the BIOS and if that doesn't work, I'm just gonna try playing at a different resolution or with different hz and see if that solves anything.

I suppose so... this has me really stumped, I can't believe it's an older game that's crashing, that throws a lot of possibilities out the window. Let us know how you get on with the bios and resolution change anyway. And try downloading different drivers for your graphics card. I've seen people having problems with version 1.06 too, so if you can download an older version maybe you could try that too. Sorry I can't be of more help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back