'Battlefield 4' Megalodon Easter egg located after four month search

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It took roughly four months of searching but the mythical Megalodon Easter egg in Battlefield 4 has finally been located. The clip below is spoiler-filled so if you’d rather keep searching on your own, it’d probably be best to turn away now.

The hunt for the prehistoric shark launched in December 2013 when YouTuber JackFrags posted a video explaining why he thought the Easter egg might exist. Specifically, he believed the shark was lurking in the waters of the Paracel Storm map but despite his best efforts and the efforts of others, it was never found.

This week’s release of the Naval Strike DLC for Premium members delivered, among other things, a new map called Nansha Strike and the mythical Megalodon – likely in reaction to the Battlefield 4 community’s search for it.

To activate the egg, simply gather 10 players around the buoy shown in the clip above and wait a moment.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I gotta say that is quite epic.

I give props to DICE for building up the hype with a bunch of clues :D.

Wait, so now easter eggs in games like Battlefield are found by standing for a while and watching? Wow. Much cryptic. So hide. Wow.

There aren't enough of these in modern titles (in my experience, anyhow). Glad to see there are still devs out there that understand the value a few well executed discoverables can add to a game.

This is something you will never see in the a cod game, unless they update their engine and try to do something more with their game.

This is something you will never see in the a cod game, unless they update their engine and try to do something more with their game.

I thought the occasional match where you run into the one guy on CoD who isn't using perks and computer assists to get the job done was an equally impressive easter egg?

Nice, so EA lied again. Not only is the game still broken, but devs are working on DLC and optional-extra 'easter eggs'. Wow.

Nice, so EA lied again. Not only is the game still broken, but devs are working on DLC and optional-extra 'easter eggs'. Wow.

The game plays like crap and the BF franchise is prob done and this is what they are working on?

Back