Battlefield: Hardline, Dragon Age: Inquisition both delayed

Scorpus

Staff member

Two games from EA originally slated to launch right in the heart of this year's holiday gaming season have been delayed, so that the game's developers have more time to polish their work.

Dragon Age: Inquisition was originally given a launch date of October 7, 2014, which has now been pushed back to November 18, 2014 in North America and November 21 in Europe. The delay of just over a month comes after the development team requested more time to make the highly anticipated game as polished as possible.

Specifically, the team will be working on ensuring the "open spaces are as engaging as possible", "strengthening the emotional impact of the Hero's choices", and "ensuring the experience you get is the best it can be in the platform you choose to play on".

Battlefield: Hardline was expected to launch on October 21, 2014 but has now been pushed back to a date in "early 2015" which is yet to be determined. EA states the delay is due to the recent beta failing to meet the expectations of gamers, many of which have been enjoying Battlefield 4 since its launch just last year.

DICE VP and Group GM Karl Magnus Troedsson says the feedback surrounding Hardline has "spurred us to start thinking about other possibilities and ways we could push Hardline innovation further and make the game even better." The delay will help the team introduce new multiplayer features and polish the single-player campaign, while ensuring the launch is more stable than that of Battlefield 4.

Despite two games vacating the packed October launch month, there's still plenty of titles to look forward to. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel launches October 14, Assassin's Creed Unity hits consoles and PC on October 28, and Civilization: Beyond Earth will be available from October 24, just to name a few.

Permalink to story.

Great call on BFH. The game just wasn't ready and was basically a DLC for BF4. Hopefully they now have enough time to revamp the HUD and other elements to better differentiate it from BF4.

EA should do what Activision is doing make the game dev process take 10yrs but its ok as Dice arent bad developers like CoD's!

Great call on BFH. The game just wasn't ready and was basically a DLC for BF4. Hopefully they now have enough time to revamp the HUD and other elements to better differentiate it from BF4.
This is EA we're talking about, they want the extra time to think of other ways to part you from your cash and still deliver a mediocre product with the promise of bigger and better things in the pipeline. They remind me of that illusionist we saw a few posts back except they're not as convincing or friendly.

I'm fine with pushing back game dates. I have so many games to finish this will give me enough time to play them.

And I agree on BFH: That game should have been DLC to the existing BF4 game.

You have to ask yourself, "is this really a delay"?

It seems to me delays, (along with "leaks"), are just tactics to keep a product fresh in consumer's minds.

This is the same tactic women use to get us to marry them! "The longer you have to wait for me, the better you'll think I am"...:D

I doubt they could have made the original deadline, and I'd bet this "delay", was premeditated, from the jump.

I suppose now somebody's going to climb on this post and start babbling a bunch of crap along the lines of, "they wouldn't delay the game if they didn't have to, they always have our best interests at heart".

Delays are acceptable, a poor final product is not!

I got 200+ hours into the first Dragon Age and I hope this new one borrows many traits from it. Only issue was the set environments (which I understand given the resources available at the time) and I hope they put more into the world, immersion and interactivity. It was also much better on a PC and I hope they tweak (or not dull down for consoles) this version the same way.

They should delay hardline a year and make it into a truly unique game. the assets are all there but id love to see this a more cops-n-robbers type game instead of a battlefield FPS with a cops and robbers skin.

That'll make the hardcore BF fans mad (understandably I guess, they havent gotten a really polished BF game since 3) but gawsh that would be awesome.

EA should do what Activision is doing make the game dev process take 10yrs but its ok as Dice arent bad developers like CoD's!
Activision isn't doing anything like that. Activision just has 3 devs inhouse to make use of, most publishers don't have that. The devs for Activision are on a rotation, every 3 years but that does not mean that the dev will work on the game for 3 straight years, that is not how it will work. Basically if your a dev for Activision and say you made a game like CoD Ghost in 2013, your next game will be in 2016. You will have a total time frame of basically 1 year on the project, you won't be working on one title for 3 years. Before, devs only had less than 6 months total on most projects. Will this help CoD, I doubt it but only time will tell. Sledgehammer has had a lot of time since they last helped with MW3. If they can't get it right, there is no reason to think Treyarch or IW will improve anything despite having more time on the game. I already agve up on Treyarch, they only supported Black Ops 2 for 9 months and NEVER updated their final DLC, Apocalypse which had the Origins map. Origins map which has tons of bugs still never has got an update.

Activision isn't doing anything like that. Activision just has 3 devs inhouse to make use of, most publishers don't have that. The devs for Activision are on a rotation, every 3 years but that does not mean that the dev will work on the game for 3 straight years, that is not how it will work. Basically if your a dev for Activision and say you made a game like CoD Ghost in 2013, your next game will be in 2016. You will have a total time frame of basically 1 year on the project, you won't be working on one title for 3 years. Before, devs only had less than 6 months total on most projects. Will this help CoD, I doubt it but only time will tell. Sledgehammer has had a lot of time since they last helped with MW3. If they can't get it right, there is no reason to think Treyarch or IW will improve anything despite having more time on the game. I already agve up on Treyarch, they only supported Black Ops 2 for 9 months and NEVER updated their final DLC, Apocalypse which had the Origins map. Origins map which has tons of bugs still never has got an update.

Don't you think if crytek made CoD it would be amazing... the current devs for CoD are terrible they make their games MADE to be hacked... and abused they dont care they just wanna create another $60 DLC then make you pay $20 for 4 pathetic gun skins...

Don't you think if crytek made CoD it would be amazing... the current devs for CoD are terrible they make their games MADE to be hacked... and abused they dont care they just wanna create another $60 DLC then make you pay $20 for 4 pathetic gun skins...
Crytek can make a beautiful game but they can also make a game too good that not even high systems can run, so it can ruin it for a lot of people. Let's not forget that Crytek can't even pay it's employees so it's likely to go under if they can't get things under control.
CoD is utter crap, use to be great but these days it's rehash of crap thanks to consoles and endless kids with mommy and daddys credit card. I think certain aspects of CoD, mainly Zombies but Treyarch let everyone down. I have no hope for CoD. I thought Treyarch would do it right but after only 9 months then basically abandoning the game (BO 2), that to me felt like they didn't care anymore. I don't know how they got away with not updating they game when Origins map is so bugged. Not enough media attention happened. To many websites don't accurately report what's going on. BF4 got hammered and still does today, CoD somehow got away with all kinds despite and tons of problems like BF4. More sites like TechSpot need to do a better job of showing people how some of these games are basically getting away with not supporting their title. Bring more awareness to these games and then the game companies may start taking notice when no one is buying their crap game, especially when they decide to not support/ update their game after only 9 months.

Back