TechSpot

BBC investigation claims Apple is breaking its promise to protect Chinese factory workers

By Jos
Dec 19, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Apple has been under scrutiny over labor conditions at its suppliers' manufacturing facilities overseas. But while the company has taken steps to keep things in check, an undercover BBC Panorama investigation claims Apple's promises to protect workers were routinely broken.

Read more

2. Reread paragraph 5 and 6

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,513   +2,056

It's a sad state of affairs and I don't see Apple being able to sweep it under the rug in a hurry as they'd like to.

4. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,906   +954

Human rights be damned as long as there are enough iPhones for the people camping outside the Apple Store

stewi0001 likes this.
  5. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,185   +528

Makes me proud to not own an iPhone. Then again, I have no idea what magical creatures put my phone together.

6. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,043   +274

Poor excuse, IMHO, "we do more than any other company." In other words, "we want to appear to the world like we are the best company in the world. It is our damage control because we know full well that we are still trampling all over the people who build our products for us."

7. Taron Ramsay

Taron Ramsay TS Rookie

I usually hate apple but these are NOT apples employees, this is not Apple's factory. Just because they assemble apple products, does not mean they are employees of apple. If I hire a contractor to build my house, it's not my job to look after the builders! This is NOT apples responsibility. Apple has NO authority in the factory or over the people who run it.

8. Meanwhile workers are working cannot do childrens.

9. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 930   +354

I by no means am making any excuses for Apple, but I suspect this is standard corporate policy for the majority. People and the future be damned if they stand in the way of immediate profit. But it has ever been thus, just a matter of degree.

10. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 914   +389

I like the "we could by from someone outside of xxxxxxxx but that would do nothing to help the people in that country....yeah right...should say we could buy outside of that country, but it would cost more.

11. yRaz

no, but apple is helping other people make billions of dollars off slave labor. They can say "look, stop this **** or we will take our business elsewhere". They do not do this and in my mind that's as bad as condoning it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    ThanosPAS and cliffordcooley like this.
  12. The BBC has absolutely no right to be moralistic. It is funded by the British taxpayer under an antiquated system of charging for a "TV licence." If you don't pay you can go to prison! It makes multi-millions in profits, all at taxpayers expense and where does the money go? It falsely reported and lied about the destruction of building 7 in the 911 debacle minutes before it was destroyed even though no plane hit it, how does that work exactly, psychic news reporting? It spews political propaganda on its news channels the likes of which Josef Goebbels would have been proud of. Granted, it does make some excellent programs but when you have a bottomless pit of money to go at then so they should!! Despicable organisation as corrupt as all the other corporations that like to 'think' they control the world. Yes I'm British!

fimbles likes this.
  13. yRaz

What I got out of this post is "We should ignore that apple is violating human rights because the BBC is laundering money"

14. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,679   +780

It's one thing to sub-contract work to another company, it is quite another when Apple takes credit for improved conditions when there are none. Looking at the profit margin for Apple, they could easily enforce humane standards while making a very successful profit margin but what is not well known is the influence of the government on these conditions. It may be entirely out of Apples relm of control, but if that were the case they should not be making false claims of good conditions.

15. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,912   +535

"Apple decided to attack the problem by tracking the weekly hours of over one million workers, driving corrective actions with our suppliers and publishing the results on our website monthly"

How the hell do you do that when most of the overtime isn't "official"? On paper they are under the limit, in reality they are forced to worked overtime or they get fired.

16. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +198

The BBC are just as corrupt. Bleeting on about human rights but supporting a government who want to remove the human rights act from britain all together. And censoring anyone and anything that they feel disagrees with their agenda. Impartial is not a word in their vocabulary these days.

Please take everything you see on the BBC with a pinch of salt, Or better still get your news from a better source.

17. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

You mean like Sky News? Don't make me laugh.

18. khha4113

khha4113 TS Rookie

You didn't read Apple's memo sent out, didn't you? It is Apple's responsibility as they admit it.

19. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +198

Dont have or want sky, I prefer to research myself.

20. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 859   +340

I kinda knew this already. It's not just Apple doing this but you know this too.

SNGX1275 likes this.