TechSpot

BBC (News) videos stop playing after 15secs, audio continues - why?

By Tommygunn
Dec 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. For some time now I have been unable to play BBC News videos in Firefox 26.0 (the only BBC videos I watch with any frequency) but after 15secs the video freezes while the audio continues. Also, after this has happened and I grab the slider it blurs just like a Windows OS freeze.
    I just tried it on Internet Explorer and the same video stopped at about 22secs with exactly the same problems. It happens with all BBC News videos.
    Here is a screen grab of, in this instance, the video stopped and where I've advanced the slider and it has blurred.

[​IMG]

What can I do to cure this problem?
    Thanks,
    Tom.
  2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,235   +232

For starters, if you supplied a link to it, I don't see it. Got a link?
  3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 90

4. learninmypc

5. David.Moore

David.Moore TS Rookie

I have exactly the same problem on the same browser. If I move the slider to within 10 seconds of the end and let it finish, then restart the video it plays OK. Need help please, not a BBC problem.
  6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,436   +218

Tommygunn, I'm using Firefox 26.0 and I'm able to run the videos in your link just fine. Have you installed the latest version of Flash Player?
  7. learninmypc

@Tommygun, they work for me too.
  8. Tommygunn

I got an update notification for Adobe, from my Avast Antivirus, yesterday and I updated to 12.0.0.43 just to be sure.
    The problem persists with the video I posted a link to.
    I also had a look at some videos from the homepage. At about the 30-31sec mark I had the same problem with a video about the Ukraine while a video on Syria stopped at around 22secs. However, with another Syrian video I was able to play the whole 2mins 32secs of it without a problem

Oh, I have no problem playing 30secs worth of an annoying advert before any of the videos!

Tom.
  9. learninmypc

I think if you used an adblocker addon, you wouldn't see any annoying adverts, I don't.
    Try either adblock plus or adblock edge. Good luck.
  10. Tommygunn

Learninmypc,
    Thanks, that's stopped all the advert nonsense.

Tom.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  11. learninmypc

You're welcome :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.