BCCode : 9c Error in Oblivion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzion

Hi

I have a little problem when playing Oblivion: in general i can play Oblivion for about 1 hour and then it just resets the PC -Stright Reset- with no BSOD or windows Error report but lucky enough today after about 2 and a half hours of play it reset the pc again but this time i gave me a windows Error Report:

BCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000005 BCP2 : F77E9050 BCP3 : B2000018
BCP4 : 02000E0F OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

i have looked on every Site/Forum to try and sovle this problem, but have been unsuccessful.

A friend said that the help here is Excellent and recommended i posted here with my problem.

[Edit] I will also post the dump files when i get in from work....
So if any one can help me i would very much appricate it

Thanks

oh and my PC Spec is:

O/S - Windows Media Centre (SP2)
CPU - Intel Core 2 Due 6300 @ 1.86Ghz
Ram - 1022MB DDR2 533 4600
GFX - nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTO 512mb DDR3 - Directx 9.0c
PSU - Gold 600w 12v

i dont think its an other heating Issue as my temps seem to be fine never above 50-55 on GFX and 50 on CPU during play.

A few questions for you,

Are you patched up?

Do you expirence any other form of random reboot during any other use of the PC?

Sean

thats the funny thing m8, the computer only restarts after 1hour of oblivion play, never does it doing anythink else - Strange- and as far as patching oblivion i have tried D/L'ing the patches but wont let me update for some wierd reason.

update... just incase any one would like to enlighten me on this issue after reformating my machine and updated oblivion to the max with all new patches the problem still seems to continue strange thing is the machine runs brilliantly and has shown no other signs of being faulty, after all it is only 5 months old, but what confuses me more then any think is that i am able to run other games like the new C&C TB Wars and other high demanding games for hours upon hours with no reboot.............. i cant get my head round this problem please help

BCCode : 9c means the following.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

I suggest you go and follow the instructions in this thread HERE and see if it helps you to identify the culprit.

Regards Howard :)

cheers for the reply howard but i refuse to believe i have a hardware problem in the sense that a component in my machine may need replacing, the computer is very new and runs fine regardless of what i do, unless it be playing oblivion but.... after having a look at the link CTT posted it seems it may well be worth trying to disable one of my cores with oblivion and seeing whether it makes much differences but the problem i have is i am unaware on how to do this so if any one has a clue and can tip me on this little trick i would very much appricate it

Thanks

A couple things:

I fully believe Howard is much smarter than I when it comes to computer problems in general.

Listen to him.

I also believe that DX9C has had driver updates just like everything else with MS$ BUT you have to actually get them yourself (like, Windows Update doesn't do it). (I may be wrong).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256

http://www.expertsrt.com/articles/coral/dual-core-and-XP.html

and lastly:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_9.html

Sometimes specific comps are just like specific mules - don't matter how much you swear and beat them and what you promise them, they ain't gonna get up and plow!

")

what graphic settings do you use when playing Oblivion? ( I have had a similiar problem with the previous game : The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind)

ive tried running the game in all settings but perfered settings are on medium e.g 1024x768, all distance rendering ON (ticked), Screen effects ( none ).

but my machine can more then handle 1440x900 ( best resolution ) with my GFX and monitor<---- Runs fine, All distance rendering ON, Screen Effects - HDR-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back