BCCode f4 Crashes

Janell

I am going absolutely crazy right now.....my 6 month old computer just started giving me a "windows encountered an unexpected shutdown" error message constantly. Starting right after a Windows update. I have tried restoring my computer to an earlier date, checked on my video card for updates, and all to no avail. Not even sure how to attach the .dmp file from the last crash, as the file ext is not available in the options. I made no changes to my computer other than the windows update. Thanks to anyone who can help me with this :)

Go to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files and right-click sending the files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload that folder as a file here

Thanks Tmagic. For some reason my computer, on its own, tried to recognize them under notepad??? Absolutely LOVE computers....lol. I have zipped and attached all of the dump files that were located in that file.

Attachments

• dmp files.zip
    105.8 KB · Views: 1
What are the computers specs? You can start by checking the memory by going to:
http://www.memtest.org/
Download memtest86 version 5.01 iso file. Burn it to a disk and boot the computer with this disk. Run memtest for 7 passes. No errors are allowed

Thanks Tmagic, I will run it either later today (hopefully) or tomorrow to get the info.

Okay Tmagic, I ran the memtest86 yesterday......all day.....lol. After 9 passes (because I forgot it was running), showed no errors.

Check the hard drive by going to Computer. Right-click on the C drive. Select properties, tools, check now. put a check mark in both boxes to set a disk check on the next start up

So I checked the hard drive as per your instructions, and it said the "volume was clean"

If you can't restore the computer to an earlier time before the last Windows Update, you might have to install Windows fresh

Thanks Tmagic, I will try to restore my computer tonight back to a couple of months ago and see if that works. I did get a weird error screen when my computer restarted after a crash this afternoon that said at the bottom "cpu fan not found"??? Have no idea what that means, or why it came up as it has not come up before - and then went right to the black "start windows normally" screen again. So - I will try restore and let you know. Thanks so much for your help!

So....any help on this new issue would be appreciated :) There is a windows XP dell desktop which is giving a message of "NTLDR is Missing" at startup and will not run. F8 does not work on reboot for safemode, F5 does not reboot, nor does FN before pressing F8 or F5. No CD available to reboot.....getting frustrating. A friend's computer - trying to help - but not sure what I can do at this point as the computer will not reboot in safe mode and keeps giving a utility screen - where no command prompts are working. Any advice? Thanks!

You will need to discover a lot more about how that computer got to be where it is now. The message about NTLDR missing is well understood, and in many cases easy to correct, but you have to understand exactly what the current situation is. For instance, you still have a HDD partition, but does it still have an OS which is inaccessible because the XP startup files are missing, or were the startup files on a different partition?

BTW You will probably need an install CD of XP to correct this problem. You state you dont have one, so can you get a loan of one?

You will need to discover a lot more about how that computer got to be where it is now. The message about NTLDR missing is well understood, and in many cases easy to correct, but you have to understand exactly what the current situation is. For instance, you still have a HDD partition, but does it still have an OS which is inaccessible because the XP startup files are missing, or were the startup files on a different partition?

BTW You will probably need an install CD of XP to correct this problem. You state you dont have one, so can you get a loan of one?

All she has mentioned to me was that this happened in the past - and somehow she hit a function key that bypassed the screen and allowed the computer to restart normally - and has not had the problem since - until now. Seems to me that the startup files might be corrupted or on a different partition. And yes, I could probably burn her a boot disk if needs be.

So....any help on this new issue would be appreciated :) There is a windows XP dell desktop which is giving a message of "NTLDR is Missing" at startup and will not run. F8 does not work on reboot for safemode, F5 does not reboot, nor does FN before pressing F8 or F5. No CD available to reboot.....getting frustrating. A friend's computer - trying to help - but not sure what I can do at this point as the computer will not reboot in safe mode and keeps giving a utility screen - where no command prompts are working. Any advice? Thanks!
The hard drive has failed and you will have to replace it before you do anything else...

Back