TechSpot

Be a Responsible Net Citizen

By Didou
Jul 13, 2004
Post New Reply
  1. Something I think everyone should read ( & for some, they should read it before going online for the first time ;) ).

Be A Responsible Net Citizen
    By Jeff Fila
    July 8th 2004

2. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

That is a MOST excellent article Didou. Thanks for sharing. I've gone to the original site and copied it for a Word doc to potentially pass on to our security people (with author's credits, of course).

Thx again.
  3. smtkr

smtkr Newcomer, in training Posts: 138

There is nothing more annoying than an unsecured wireless network.
  4. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

A nice find there didou.
  5. MYOB

MYOB Newcomer, in training Posts: 527

37 out of 52 in my town are unwepped, although some have MAC address filtering or iptables; but at least 20 of them are open to the world, with DHCP and DSL....
  6. Goalie

Goalie Newcomer, in training Posts: 703

Actually, since I have dialup at home, it's pretty nice to wardrive and get that windows update in under 5 hours.. ;)

But yes, please secure it. And if someone is using your network due to being unsecured, realize YOU'RE responsible for their actions.

Have yet to hear of a open-wap-spam-relay though...
  7. Yangxi

Yangxi Newcomer, in training Posts: 17

you r actually deserved a good conductor!!!
    Im sincere
  8. Good post. Thanks for sharing.
    :)
  9. whiternoise

whiternoise Newcomer, in training Posts: 99

great post.
  10. ArmyofKirb

ArmyofKirb TechSpot Member Posts: 87

I live in a dormitory-style Army barracks, and while most of the wireless networks are secured, I can pick up an unsecured network from my room. It's nice to have when your roommate is choking the DSL connection downloading games/movies/etc.
  11. Mark Neilan

Mark Neilan Newcomer, in training Posts: 26

I send back chain mail which i get and then block or delete all of their mail to me automatically. Sure does annoy my friends.

It just chain letters are so irritating and I feel ashamed for people i know who would read, send them on and believe those ones about msn messanger shuting down if you don't send this on to 25 people and open the attached document msn.exe.

Then I get sent the same one from 8 different people trying to fulfil the 25 contacts demanded. I got one the other day saying i would lose my hotmail account if i didn't pass this on but the girl who sent it didn't see my non-hotmail email address when she typed it in.

Also that stuff you get from people saying how well do you know this person or so and so has requested you join their friends network.

Anyway - great post.

12. EsTeBaNo

EsTeBaNo Newcomer, in training Posts: 100

mm Chains!

I Have been deleting chain mail for at least 5 years...
    i have received like 100 hundred emails telling that if i dont sent it to 50 persons a cow will sit on me or a cat will pee on my shoes.
    But well some people believe on them or they are just bored...
    but not all chains are bad... i got one from a virus that deletes all windows...
    Dont know if its truth
  13. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

The virus chain mails always warn about the biggest threat in the computer world that causes billions worth of damage every month - gullible people :p
  14. whiternoise

whiternoise Newcomer, in training Posts: 99

Excellent post, our school has had a huge amount of viruses, mostly caused by one person's stupid ideas, i'll have to show people the link. (I also heard that if you fly over Los Angeles city centre with a wireless ready laptop, you can pick up around 2000 unsecured wifi hotspots)
  15. Sean

Sean Newcomer, in training Posts: 131

haha ill try that next time i go town to la, its only 20-30 minuets away without traffic.
  16. azkickerboi69

azkickerboi69 Newcomer, in training

nice article
    everybody should read this
  17. Jesse_hz

Jesse_hz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 638

That article really has quality, but I didn't know of it so I had to learn it the hard way.

Yes you are morally responsible if someone starts sending anonymous spammails, sets up an illegal file server or commits other criminal activity on your unsecured network.

BUT!!: Not all countrys have laws that say you are responsible for what a person does on your network and I bet in some country if you can (somehow) prove that another person was logged on your network at the times when the crimes were commited you could probably get off the charges.
  18. Lekki_Sheep

Lekki_Sheep Newcomer, in training Posts: 168

I get stockmarket recomendations for some reason, does anyone else get that? I figure they've got sick of offering me enlargement options and achem augmenting tablets of another variety and have tried a new approach.

This is definately the best thing to do. It draws attention to the sender and eventually if enough people simply return mail to that address they'll be copped. Of course if they happen to live in Florida, or the Neatherlands they'll be fine and probably blissfully unaware of our annoyance.
    Just in case anyone gets any ideas. You shouldn't send large amounts of mail back to the sender, for two reasons.
    1. They'll know they've hit a used address.
    2. Thev're likely to be some form of business and more than one reply would constitute wasting their business time. I'm well informed that in most of the world this is considered a criminal offence and you could be prosecuted for it quite easily. It's sick I know, since they're wasting your time with the spam in the first place, but it'd be even worse if they sued you for it huh? Think of the irony.
  19. kronos

kronos Newcomer, in training

I am belive that this is the best artical that
    I have read on this site. thank you very much fo posting it
  20. sydneysue

sydneysue Newcomer, in training

Good ideas
  21. Striker840

Striker840 Newcomer, in training Posts: 16

As far as the unsecured wireless is concerned. About a year ago I just happened to take a look at the wireless signals my laptop was picking up and I found several unsecured neighbors. Being the good neighbor I went to talk to them and helped them secure their network.
  22. kchris gayle

kchris gayle Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

cool article!!! thanks
  23. Envergure

Envergure TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 154

If you get one of those "send this to 25 people or else" types of messages, the best thing to do is to send 25 copies back to the person who sent it to you. (especially if they have dial-up!)
  24. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,438

Wasn't there a email awhile back called "The Love Bug" and when people opened the email there was a attachment that was suppose to be a love letter and alot of people got infected?
  25. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Wouldn't surprise me.

Crap like that comes around all the time.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.