Beats Music streaming service will launch on January 21 starting at $9.99

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s been a while in the making but Beats Music, the subscription streaming audio service from Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre, is finally launching. The service will go live on January 21 for Android, iOS, Windows and the web starting at $9.99 per month for individual plans.

Beats Music is hoping to differentiate itself among other streaming outfits by helping listeners find exactly what they want to hear at any given time. Ian Rogers, the chief executive of Beats Music, believes that most streaming services fail because they rely too heavily on algorithms to build playlists and they are built by people that don’t fully understand music.

beats music streaming

Beats uses algorithms as well but they also rely on their editors and guest programmers to help shape playlists. Guests like Rap Radar, Rolling Stone and Pitchfork weed out the crap and leave only the good stuff, Rogers noted.

One key feature is called Right Now, which allows users to fill in the blanks of a sentence based on their mood and the type of music they want to hear. It sounds a lot like Songza’s “situations” in its description, but we’ll have to wait to get our hands on the final version before drawing any solid conclusions.

AT&T customers will have access to an exclusive family plan that will let up to five users stream to 10 devices in total for just $14.99 per month. What’s more, those on AT&T can try the service free for 30 days (up to 90 days for families) while non-AT&T users are limited to a 7-day free trial. It’s worth pointing out that there is no free tier like you’d find on other services.

Permalink to story.

I don't think this will be any better than their terrible headphones. I'll stick to Spotify.

Spotify is going to kick the crap out of this.

And I love how the man in charge of BEATS AUDIO is accusing others of not understanding music. Theres more to music than bass good sir.

Beats bass isn't even good... not sure why so many people think it is. It's loud but not good or clean sounding. Even the nicest pair of Beats don't go as deep or clean as my cheapest pair of SoundMagic HP100 headphones... and I've done direct comparisons.

This sounds terrible. Their premise that other streaming services rely on algorithms is bad and people choosing is on the surface an interesting thought. But the algorithms work on likes and dislikes and get better over time, with people involved especially "Rap Radar, Rolling Stone and Pitchfork" now there are people with direct monetary interest involved in sending you crap they want you to hear. Getting away from RIAA controlled radio was precisely why streaming services that play what you want them to play are so successful.

Back