Beedi/Bidi legal to buy for kids under 18?

BnX

Im 15 me and my mate went into a cigirette shop and asked if we could buy some cigars. Since the owner is asian(not being racist) we assumed he would sell it too us. But he insisted that we had to be 18 to buy them. So he said would u like to buy some beedi. THey are alot cheaper than cigars 5 bux for like 30. The taste is good as, You get alot out of them for a small thing. The only thing i dont understand is why arent they illegal? According to wikipedia Beedi has 3 times more nicotine and carbon monoxide and also produces 5 times more tar than a normal cigirette yet kids are aloud to buy? Or was this asian guy just cutting us a sly deal. What are your thoughts?

5 bucks for 30 ! The guy is fleecing you !

Don't know about the legal age limit, but no one really seems to care here in INDIA (about who is smoking beedi).

BTW beedi smoking is considered hep in some circles.

Another thing, most brands of beedis don't carry the statutory warning.

I would suggest that you don't smoke in general, I'm sure you have heard all of the things before, but they do kill. I'm not trying to be a parent here, but I feel it neccessary to advise you to stop. Smoking WILL damage your body.

I'm not sure that this is really appropriate talk for a forum that contains younger users, and they can be persuaded that things like this are good if other people do them.

cfitzarl said:
Smoking WILL damage your body.

That's not entirely true. While smoking does increase your risk of cancer, emphasema,etc. it is not a guarentee that you will get these diseases. Many smokers die of smoking related diseases but many also are uneffected and live long healthy lives. I personally believe people who want to smoke should have the right to smoke and things like age limits and smoking bans are *****ic and serve no real purpose. After all if prople want to smoke they will do so regardless of what the law says.

dmill89 said:
That's not entirely true.

Smoke that is inhaled drops into your lungs and damages them. Some signs are "smokers cough". Look at an xray of a healthy lung, and then look at an xray of a "smokers" lung. Regardless, there is a big chance that a person will come down with some kind of disease that can kill you if not under control. That is why I think that there should be laws against minors using tobacco or anything that contains nicotine (enough to get you addicted).

I feel the United States is insane for having a smoking law of 18 and 19 in some states since the average persons lungs dont stop delvoping at age 25 so basicly they should chnage the smoking law to 25-30 or just ban it alltogether

GeekieNick101 said:
I feel the United States is insane for having a smoking law of 18 and 19 in some states since the average persons lungs dont stop delvoping at age 25 so basicly they should chnage the smoking law to 25-30 or just ban it alltogether

I don't see how a ban or raise in the legal age would help any. Lots of people smoke underage as it is now and I believe they would continue to to so. Many people also use illegal drugs even though there are laws prohibiting it and I believe smokers would do the same. No matter what laws are passed people will continue to smoke so I don't see the point of wasteing time and tax money createing and enforceing such laws.

dmill89 said:
I don't see how a ban or raise in the legal age would help any. Lots of people smoke underage as it is now and I believe they would continue to to so. Many people also use illegal drugs even though there are laws prohibiting it and I believe smokers would do the same. No matter what laws are passed people will continue to smoke so I don't see the point of wasteing time and tax money createing and enforceing such laws.

If they ban it, then you couldn't buy cigarettes. The only problem with that is the fact that many people would end up going to drug dealers for cigrarettes or a bootleg would go on (similar to that of the alcohol ban in the 1920's in the U.S.).

I have never heard of it, but I wouldn't recommend smoking in general. Smoking a cigar and not inhaling (or not inhaling every drag) is a bit less risky, but smoking cigs, its just better not to start.

WHats the differencce between Cigarettes and Cigars.

I heard that Cigars are stronger, but apart from that?

Many people do not inhale cigars, making them alot "better" (I use that term loosely) for your health.

But everyone inhales cigarettes, you dont buy them for the taste.

I believe Cigar smoke is basic while cigarette smoke is acidic, and that aids absorption of nicotine in the tissues of your mouth and throat. Cigarettes don't have as much nicotine getting absorbed by mouth and throat so it has to be inhaled. That may not be entirely correct, but I think its got some truth in it.

Also they won't ban cigarettes, can't afford the tax revenue loss.

SNGX1275 said:
Also they won't ban cigarettes, can't afford the tax revenue loss.

Took the words right out of my mouth!!! Thats the whole reason they done away with prohibition! The federal government was loosing billions on tax revenue!

Personally I smoke. Its my decision. I do not condone it, I do not smoke in my house. Nor do I smoke in my truck when someone is with me that doesnt smoke. Its just common curteousy. But banning it wont stop people from doing it! The only reason the government wont legalize pot is because they cant collect taxes on it, they know that everyone would be growing there own. Besides....my back yard is not big enough to grow tobacco! :D

Finchy said:
WHats the differencce between Cigarettes and Cigars.

I heard that Cigars are stronger, but apart from that?
in general, you don't inhale cigar smoke deliberately. It is enjoyed for taste and aroma.

I am a cigar smoker and once in a blue moon a cigaratte - although cigs are boring and don't do anything for me.

I am totally opposed to the anti-smoking nazi craze going on. In some areas you can't even smoke outside anymore. This is nuts and a violation of my rights. IT's bad enough you can't smoke in bars and restaurants anymore. That's why I seldom eat out any more.

This BS that second hand smoke kills is a real joke. There are far more dangerous things to worry about - like asbestos and mold in the house.

And BTW I am 37 years old and in excellent health. I work out and have been a soldier for 16 years.

smoking anything is bad for you no matter what your age is. you might not get cancer or anything, but smoking sure doesn't make you any healthier. personally, i choose not to smoke tobacco because my lungs have a more important job than getting me a little nicotine buzz...keeping me alive.

well! first of all BNX, you shouldn't have gone to buy cigs, it is breaking the law. you shouldn't have encouraged the asian shop owner to break the law, criminals don't need much to encourage them. you shouldn't be smoking. never mind what peoples views are on what illness you will get and may get or not proved to get. never mind what someones view is on how much they should cost you.
you are 90% GUARANTEED to die with an illness related to smoking of any sort.

come on BNX, show how adult you really are and don't follow fools!!
it's no longer cool to smoke

Agreed. I'm sick of seeing people baked outside my school. They smoke every kind of nasty drug, and they're all really screwed up. Now I know the things that have been mentioned in this thread won't do anything as bad as getting you baked or high or anything, but I'm just sick of seeing people (especially minors) smoke this garbage when it is so unhealthy. I can't think of a reason to smoke anything, nor will I let someone smoke near me. If they're an adult and they say they have authority over me, I just tell them I don't care because I don't want to get sick because of someone else's stupid habits.

I was stuck starting to smoke at the age of 15 due to my g/f at the time smoking and also high school pressures! I like the taste of smoking but now i'm 27 and wanna quit! Help ME!

MetalX said:
Agreed. I'm sick of seeing people baked outside my school. They smoke every kind of nasty drug, and they're all really screwed up. Now I know the things that have been mentioned in this thread won't do anything as bad as getting you baked or high or anything, but I'm just sick of seeing people (especially minors) smoke this garbage when it is so unhealthy. I can't think of a reason to smoke anything, nor will I let someone smoke near me. If they're an adult and they say they have authority over me, I just tell them I don't care because I don't want to get sick because of someone else's stupid habits.

I totally agree. I see a lot of high school students smoking cigarettes on the street and all I can wonder is how much are they going to hate themselves for starting when they are seniors and have lung problems.

N1Hawk said:
I was stuck starting to smoke at the age of 15 due to my g/f at the time smoking and also high school pressures! I like the taste of smoking but now i'm 27 and wanna quit! Help ME!

I started when I was 19, smoked till 3 years ago when I was 47. I had tried several times to quit. I would wake up coughing so hard I couldn't catch my breath and tears would run down my face. I still notice the damage I did to my lungs. Nicorette Gum worked best for me. Not grat tasting but it gives you nicotine while you break the hand thing with cigarettes. Eventually you drop down to a weaker gum for a couple weeks and then you just get tired of chewing it and quit the gum too. Patches irritated my skin and caused muscle aches. The best time to quit is RIGHT NOW!

nicotine is perhaps the most intense drug known to man - one drop on your skin could kill you from an overdose. i knew a girl who smoked 3 packs a day, and she tried to quit. she went one whole day without smoking a cigarette. the next day she was rushed to the hospital, after going into shock from nicotine withdrawals. nothing that does that to a person can be good for you.

for all the people that wished they never smoked.
giving up isn't easy, but its not impossible. there is no easy way to give up smoking. you will be crave, you will get angry, you will ache, you will sweat, you will not sleep, you may develop a cough, a sore throat, but heh! its only for a couple of days. just think of a child in an abusive family, to them its forever, they have no choice!!

to say i can't, means wont! use whatever crutch you need to get through it. a person that has never smoked are the luckiest people, because they had the sense not to start and the courage to say no to their peers. but they are often not the best person to help, as they rarely understand that need and want. but don't knock them for helping!

after the first few days, look at the colour of your teeth. look at the colour of your skin, it becomes fresher because of the better level of oxygen in your blood

may i wish anyone that intends to stop smoking, SUCCESS!

zephead said:
nicotine is perhaps the most intense drug known to man - one drop on your skin could kill you from an overdose. i knew a girl who smoked 3 packs a day, and she tried to quit. she went one whole day without smoking a cigarette. the next day she was rushed to the hospital, after going into shock from nicotine withdrawals. nothing that does that to a person can be good for you.

It is pretty bad what happens to people, yes, but there is still a prevelence of smoking in youth, trust me, I am their age. Many people think that it's cool and fun, but it only leads to terrible things. Thank God that the "coolness" of smoking has seemed to go down from when my parents were my age (from what I hear).

Back