TechSpot

Been away and now computer won't turn on

By crazy_girl_83
Jan 19, 2008
  1. Hi to anyone who can help me. I went away for 5 wks and when I came home I tried to turn on my computer and nothing! I checked all the power outlets and the power cord is OK but nothing, it's like it's not even pluged in! I mean I get nothing, no lights turn on or anything. I know there was a few power outages while I was away but everything else that was pluged into the same powerboard works (eg: monitor and speakers are fine). I'm not great with computers so I don't know anything about it other than how much ram and memory it has. If you need more info to help me please say so and how I would find this info and I will be happy to provide details. Another question I have is if you have an idea of what the problem is could you tell me if I will lose all my data? I had pictures that I can't get back stored on the computer so I am hoping i won't lose all that.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Hi crazy_girl_83 (that's funny !)

Remove the power cord
    Push the power button in at front of computer (dispersing all voltage)
    Put the power cord back in (really goes a long way in on PC's)
    Turn back on

Reply back :)

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,673   +1,874

The PSU's "Golden Years".......

Obviously try what Kimsland said first. If that doesn't work, (and it probably will), be prepared for the possibility of a failed power supply. I've had a unit that was failing and wouldn't re"light" after shutting down the surge suppressor. Although it did light up the on button, it wouldn't run.

4. crazy_girl_83

crazy_girl_83 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi Kimsland,

Unfortunately it didn't work. I think captaincranky has it right. I called a few places and they think it is the power supply. Now for the next question my dear helpers... How can I get the info which is on my hard drive out on to an external drive? Let me know guys you are great!!! :grinthumb

Thanks so much.

Also thank Kimsland for the comment on my username, it's just like me... A little funny :suspiciou .

5. tuant

tuant TS Booster Posts: 201

Theres no need to replace your entire computer, just replace the power supply.

Just for the hell of it, have you tried connecting to a different power outlet?

6. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Well that depends is Windows fully operational ?

If so, then just plug in the external HardDrive, go to My Computer and open it.

Then Open My Documents, or where-ever the data is, and right click copy (you can even select all - by Edit - Select All)
    then go back to you External HardDrive (ie. My Computer (if not already open)
    Open it, and right click paste
    ie Copy & Paste

I can make this simpler if need be. It really depends on where all your "info" is.

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,704   +397

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.