TechSpot

beep codes

By Carrera
Apr 22, 2005
  1. help with the 1 long 2 short beeps

Hi,

I am not a computer guru have done some upgrading but never built a computer by myself till now. I have bought these parts

Intel 775 P4 3000
    motherboard- ASUS P5P800S,
    video card ASUS V9520-X/TD- GeForce FX 5200 - TV Out 128Mb - DVI
    RAM 512 MB Hyundai

built the computer. Here is the problem. Shortly after powering it up it started beeping. I switched it off and went to the Internet to look for the answers. It gives 1long and 2 shorts beeps. As I found out ( I went through a huge number of websites) this could be a problem with the video card. so I tried to pull it out put it back, the same thing-beeping. I even tried another video card, same thing. I tried the new card in the other computer the card works fine. Then I powered the computer up without the card - beeping again. No idea what to do next. Would you have any suggestions? Can anyone help please?

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Could your powersupply be too weak?
    Did you connect the 12v 4-pin powerconnector to the motherboard?
    Have you tried the RAM in other slots?
    Does your video-card need an extra power-cable and if so, did you insert it?

Try clearing the BIOS (see your manual how to do that). Make sure you disconnect the mains-cable first!

3. RickM

RickM TS Rookie Posts: 85

Hi,
    The "Beep Code" you are explaining for Asus (1 Long... 2 Short) is indicating a Video Adaptor problem.
    Check to see that your Video Card is properly and evenly seated.
    Check the Video Cable to your Monitor too.

Check out the Asus Beep Codes here:
    http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Hope this helps.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.